Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CMT 340 upgrade over this option?

Default Re: CMT 340 upgrade over this option?

No, not that simple as fedex and ups raising rates. Shipping (marine) capacity is lower and likely longer lead times with slow steaming and such. Also, in US, hard to get trucks (perhaps not for fedex or ups as have dedicated fleets, I believe) and shortage of drivers (again, not sure how this may impact fedex or ups as don’t know how they employ drivers, eg company employee/terms of employment contract, independent drivers, etc). With driver shortage, I’d assume alot of turn over as drivers would change fleets for better wages, benefits, and/or how frequently they could be home vs on the road

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    Yes, I am aware. RSL has told me the same thing. Can you tell me why shipping is going up? Is it like literally FEDEX and UPS raising rates? Is it that simple?
    This has nothing to do with UPS and FEDEX raising rates. They raise their rates every year by an average of about 5%.

Container shipping rates from overseas are skyrocketing. Prior to the pandemic (and even during), we paid about $1200-$1400 for shipping a 40' container of goods to our nearest port (this is just for the sea freight charge). This same rate is now up to about $8K on average, and I know companies who have paid nearly $10K for a 20' container.

Freight is only a small part of the issue, the value of the dollar is dropping rapidly, there are massive raw material shortages which drives prices way up, there is a huge labor shortage due to our gov't continually extending unemployment benefits (this also drives prices up) and, of course, we are in the midst of serious inflation not seen in over a decade.

If you are not familiar with what is happening right now, I strongly suggest reading up on it as it directly affects your wallet and depending on your age, your retirement plans. Our gov't seems to think that printing more and more dollars is OK (it isn't)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dwi...ar-11626200727
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Good post, Dave. Agree completely that the gov’t should stop printing money and extending unemployment benefits, particularly when the benefit payment exceeds what the recipient was previously earning - where is the incentive to get back to work. But with current administration, not sure it will happen anytime soon as they need to maintain their voter base. Further, the Fed needs to get inflation in check as well as keep interest rates at a reasonable level (0 is nice but not sustainable, IMO). It’s a fine balance as could trigger a recession if not managed properly. I am closely watching the interest rates as it has an impact on my lump sum retirement benefit and need to pull the trigger on retirement perhaps sooner than current plan if they rise too quickly.