Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CMT 340 upgrade over this option?

Default CMT 340 upgrade over this option?

I currently have RSL CG23 LCR and CG3 for surrounds which are very good for the money. I was thinking upgrade to the CG25 and CG5 which I hear is a pretty good upgrade over the CG3 line.
    What would the CMT 340's over both the CG3 line and CG5 line? I've always wanted to hear the CMT 340s. I can't go big into the Sierra line or RAAL speakers. I stay kinda in this price point. Thanks for any help or advice?

Default Re: CMT 340 upgrade over this option?

I know this isn’t much help, but if you could spring for the Sierra-1, then you’d be able to upgrade to the Sierra-2 EX for not much more money. You’d have close to the best that Ascend offers then. Large differences in sound quality over choosing a middle ground speaker option.

You can look at this as a pro, but unlike with the CMT-340 SE the Sierra-1 won’t need a Sub. It’s relatively flat down to 40hz

I had the CMT-340 SE before purchasing the Sierra-2. What stood out most between them was the bass, the Sierra-2 just had more.

Edit: realized that I was only talking about stereo not surround. You could just put the money into a stereo pair that you would have put into surround speakers, that’ll open up your speaker pair choices. Buy the surround speakers later on.

You’ll have some good exposure to Ascends sound then because you didn’t skimp on your speaker pair choice. Ascend is inexpensive compared to other speaker companies. Their most expensive offering is only $3k, and that may sound like a lot, just look at other companies offerings to see.

For example, PSaudio’s speaker is supposed to be $3k for the cheapest version when it releases
    Last edited by choirbass; 07-28-2021 at 10:30 AM.

JC1 - are you mostly HT or mostly music or about split? How big is your room? Running a sub?

If a lot of music, I generally agree with choirbass that you should consider the S1's as a starting point, at least for your front left and right. Only about 300 more than the CMT's. Could use a CMT center and either CMTs or HTMs for surrounds.

Sorry for the delay. I'm a mix but its like 90% movies to 10% music. If I go Sierra I would want to stick to the same for a center. That is the OCD in me when it comes to HT. The Sierra 1 is only 300 bucks me? Like the RAAL Sierra? I could swing that.

Never mind, sorry that is the non RAAL version. How good are the Sierra 1 speakers? How is that Tweeter?

Either the CMT's or S1's extend lower than either of the RSL's you noted above so will have better/fuller bass. The CMT's are more sensitive, so will play louder than the S1's at equal power. On the other hand, the S1's have better range (both low and high end) and better woofer/tweeter. The S1's can also be upgraded to the S2EX later if you so desire.

I've not heard the S1, CMT, or RSL, but based on specs/components, IMO the S1's are better than the CMT which is then better than the RSL.

FWIW, I considered the S1's when I purchased my first pair of Ascends but decided to go with the S2 as wanted to hear the RAAL.

Suggest you give Ascend a follow-up call to talk about your wants/needs and see which they recommend.

Thanks again. I should have said I also have a PB-2000 Pro which knocks my socks off, using it with my PB-1000 I already had but they working well together believe it or not.
    Oh hey what is the NRT upgrade? Worth it and what exactly is it? Big difference?

Quote Originally Posted by JC1 View Post
    I currently have RSL CG23 LCR and CG3 for surrounds which are very good for the money. I was thinking upgrade to the CG25 and CG5 which I hear is a pretty good upgrade over the CG3 line.
    What would the CMT 340's over both the CG3 line and CG5 line? I've always wanted to hear the CMT 340s. I can't go big into the Sierra line or RAAL speakers. I stay kinda in this price point. Thanks for any help or advice?
    I have never heard these RSL's but based on the components and measurements, I do feel the 340's would be a significant upgrade with regard to dynamics, accuracy and detail.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave, appreciate the post. I'm actually thinking of possibly going up a bit to the Sierra 1 too. I'm all over the place unfortunately. RSL CG5 line, SVS Ultra bookshelf/center, and of course these speakers. Do you accept Amazon payments? Really makes things easier for me that way.