Thread: Sierra-2EX upgrade question about damping material safety

Question Sierra-2EX upgrade question about damping material safety

Ok, so this might be in the OCD category, but I am going to ask anyway.

Just did the Sierra-2 to Sierra-2EX upgrade this morning and I noticed the crossover assembly has a new layout. When re-inserting the damping material in the woofer cavity, it is near impossible to prevent some of the material brushing up against some of the crossover components, such as a couple of copper coils. I assume the material is non-conductive, but does the crossover generate enough heat to be of concern with the damping material?

Default Re: Sierra-2EX upgrade question about damping material safety

Quote Originally Posted by loafer View Post

Just did the Sierra-2 to Sierra-2EX upgrade this morning and I noticed the crossover assembly has a new layout. When re-inserting the damping material in the woofer cavity, it is near impossible to prevent some of the material brushing up against some of the crossover components, such as a couple of copper coils. I assume the material is non-conductive, but does the crossover generate enough heat to be of concern with the damping material?
    Loafer,

Great question, but IMHO believe we are all in the clear! Not only is the damping material non-conductive and fire resistant, but the coils (LP) and caps (HP) are frequency dividers, not resistors that absorb power and convert it to heat!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Yep, these speakers are hot, but in a good way! I believe the damping material they use currently is polyfill, first generation of cabinets used fiberglass in netting that was glued to the interior.

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 07-25-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Thank you both for your replies. This is great news! Now I don't have to remove 5 woofers and try to do the impossible by repacking the filling! Seriously, the upgrade instructions were good. I watched the installation videos before attempting the first upgrade, which was also helpful. Regards

Quote Originally Posted by loafer View Post

Hi Loafer,

The crossover in a speaker does not get hot, nowhere near hot enough to melt or cause damage to the damping material. In fact, with many sealed speakers (no ports) the enclosure is fully stuffed with loose damping material that often fully covers the crossover.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com