Thread: upgrade processor for 7.2.4 system

Default upgrade processor for 7.2.4 system

I'm going to upgrade parts of my HT / music system in the next year or so. And I'd like some input from the group on electronics.

I'm headed for upgrades that result in a 7.2.4 system. I'm thinking Towers for L/R, a Duo center, S-2s surrounds, and S-1s rears (because I already own most of this). Four Sonance VP62Rs on ceiling for Atmos duty. And my existing pair of Rythmik LVX-12 subs.

I want to replace my electronics. What I'm currently using is a nearly 10 year old Denon AVR-X4000 with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and SubEQ HT. I like that Audyssey handles the subs so well, does all the time alignment work so that the whole system feels seemless, etc. The room EQ sounds great for HT. For music... not so much.

The music I'm most interested in is acoustic classical music. None of it's electric or amplified. So strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, some piano, some voice. And yeah, a little pipe organ (something to keep the subs awake!).

So... what's a step up from my old Denon AVR-X4000? Or two or three steps up? What I need is 11 amplified channels and a processor that can handle the standard HT stuff, CDs, and SACDs (including the multi-channel stuff). It would be nice if it can handle at least two subs (to keep me out of having to go the miniDSP 2x4 HD route to integrate the two subs together). I really need it to handle the time alignments and control of room modes and the EQ stuff.

My default right now is a Denon AVR-X6700. What will do a better job for this application?
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Default Re: upgrade processor for 7.2.4 system

Your default Denon is a good choice. A step up sound-wise, IMO, would be an Anthem MRX1120 (old model, may have to buy used) or an Anthem MR1140 (new model; Anthem still working bugs out; some users feel fan is loud; will handle dual subs independently, I think).