Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Default Re: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Some things you may want to look at...they are streamer/integrated amp combos (and I think in your budget):

Bluesound Powernode 2i
    Electrocompaniet EC-Living RENA SA-1
    Naim Muso 2
    DEVIALET 220 PRO
    Arcam Solo Uno
    -curtis

Thanks, Curtis. Seems like a good idea especially the further I get from thinking the Oppo is the answer to client-side streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    Thanks, Curtis. Seems like a good idea especially the further I get from thinking the Oppo is the answer to client-side streaming.
    My audio/video purchases are on hold as we prep to buy a house in this crazy market. So I am trying to spend others' money.

When the time comes, I will probably look at something similar to those units for a second system for an office, maybe even a setup that is less expensive.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    My audio/video purchases are on hold as we prep to buy a house in this crazy market. So I am trying to spend others' money.

When the time comes, I will probably look at something similar to those units for a second system for an office, maybe even a setup that is less expensive.
    Ugh, I feel your pain. We moved twice this past year. The first time we listed our house the week shutdowns started in March of '20. Still had 5 offers on day 1. Inventory is still low and prices are even higher due to shortages.

Alright, nitty-gritty time. Looking to power the L/R pair, no tv, just music I see two options on usaudiomart that look attractive.

Anthem AVM60 + Anthem MCA225
    OR
    Hegel H120

Assuming the cost is the same between these 2, which do you choose? Please support your answer and show your work.
    Last edited by JustaSheep; 07-16-2021 at 02:44 PM.

While searching for the Hegel I came across a few different models, closest to the model number you listed was an H20. I've never even heard of that brand before so I'm not able to compare. Most of my pre/pros and amps for the last 15 years have been Anthem, so my opinion would be biased towards what I have, and am familiar with. I'm curious if anyone reading this thread has listened to a Hegel, prices I saw were up there.

The Hegel appears to be pretty basic, no streaming or room correction if you want those features.

Edit: Well I did my homework poorly, went to the Hegel site and looked up the H120. It offers great streaming options, that it repairs digital streams from less than stellar devices sounds quite intriguing, the sound engine tech looks very interesting as well. Without first hand experience this looks like a very solid offering. It would still require an external equalization device to add a subwoofer if you wanted to tame room modes.

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 07-17-2021 at 06:03 AM.

Thank you, Jay.

A third contender would be a used Anthem STR Integrated. I have seen some mixed reviews on it so far, but for things they expected would be fixed in this gen of room correction. Do you know much about that issue?

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    Thank you, Jay.

A third contender would be a used Anthem STR Integrated. I have seen some mixed reviews on it so far, but for things they expected would be fixed in this gen of room correction. Do you know much about that issue?
    You'd probably be best served reading about it on AVS, I haven't researched the problem, it's not something that affects the previous generations. The team working on Anthem's software development has been enduring pretty severe effects due to shutdowns from what I understand.

What a cool looking piece, I've never been disappointed by the performance of any Anthem gear. Matter of fact I just received an Anthem TLP 1 preamp from an eBay seller for $350 to match up with the aforementioned MCA 20, they come from the same general time frame so they match well cosmetically. It is in pristine condition, and functions flawlessly.

Tough call, I like the looks of the newer Anthem best of what you have tossed out, but the Hegel makes a compelling case for sure!

Jay

Good call. I have not been there yet since starting this round of research.

As to an external room correction device, either a minidsp or dspeaker 8033 work well. I’ve used both. The mini requires REW (free software) and a umik mic, has a bit of a learning curve, and is tweakable. The dspeaker is plug and play