Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Default Re: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Thanks, Jay.

I am somewhat obsessed with efficiency. So when I see most monoblocks offering 250-500wpc, I think immediately, no. I'm not saying it is rational as I know they would not be detrimental to the sound, but if 100wpc allows a bit of headroom in my environment with the 2EX's then that is the goal.

On the same note, I would like to use the Oppo dac I already have, but it is beginning to look unrealistic under $3k, or maybe more trouble than it is worth is a better way to say it.

None of these are complaints, btw. Just figuring stuff out as I go. Also, anyone please correct anything you think is inaccurate.

Looking at integrateds, is it generally safe to assume using the analog inputs will bypass the internal dac? Will it also bypass the whole preamp section? If it really depends on the equipment, maybe consider he Hegel H160 currently available on audiogon.

Thanks again, all. Your input is appreciated.

Edit: I know I originally threw out $1k budget, but that was just to get the conversation started. $2-3k would be good, too, but $3k would be the upper limit.
    Last edited by JustaSheep; 07-15-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    @Justasheep, our friend petmotel made great points. It is unfortunately true that the offer of mid-priced separates is quite depressing these days. Emotiva and Outlaw used to have pre/pro and amps that could be had for around $1k, but not anymore.

Buying used from a reputable vendor (or a trusted individual) is a great way to save money and get very good sounding equipment. Amps especially have not changed much over the years. New product hype apart, if an amp sounded good 3-4 years ago and was built well, it will still sound good today.

Preamp and processor, especially those for home theater, have become sort of "disposable" items, due to the continuous evolution of the digital standards (HDMI being the major "offender" there). Stereo preamps are somewhat immune to that, up to a point.

If you still prefer new and are okay with stereo only, perhaps something along the line of "out of the box thinking" could be interesting to you, like this stereo integrated amp from Outlaw:

https://outlawaudio.com/shop/stereo-...-receiver.html

The webpage does not say a lot, but if you click on "Manual" the pdf has a detailed description of all the features. With 2x110W on 8 Ohms and 2x165W on 4 Ohm over the full audio bandwidth and 0.05% distortion (real world power specs, for a change) it should be plenty of power for your rooms size.
    Thanks, MusicHead.

I am definitely okay with used. Most of how I got started with this is through hand-me-down gear. For me, it's more about the result than the journey, so I'll do the research needed to be comfortable with the purchases, set them up, and sit back and enjoy. This means stuff falls off my radar and I don't keep up with changes/trends very well.

Definitely agree on the speed of tech and I want to get just what is needed; stereo (or 2.1) and network input are the only real requirements. Simpler the better. Edit: Network only need if bypassing or removing the Oppo from the chain.
    Last edited by JustaSheep; 07-15-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Unfortunately, your Oppo 103 doesn’t have a USB-B connection for use with a computer (unlike the 105). It also doesn’t have optical or coax inputs. However, if you want to try using it’s dac with a computer streaming’s source, you could try doing it over hdmi. Connect your hdmi cable between your computer and the rear hdmi input on your Oppo 103. Then have to select that input on the Oppo.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried this on an old MacBook Air (mostly just for fun), and it worked fine for me. Once I was connected, my computer saw it as just another dac. It isn’t the cleanest solution, but it has the advantage of using what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD View Post
    Unfortunately, your Oppo 103 doesn’t have a USB-B connection for use with a computer (unlike the 105). It also doesn’t have optical or coax inputs. However, if you want to try using it’s dac with a computer streaming’s source, you could try doing it over hdmi. Connect your hdmi cable between your computer and the rear hdmi input on your Oppo 103. Then have to select that input on the Oppo.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried this on an old MacBook Air (mostly just for fun), and it worked fine for me. Once I was connected, my computer saw it as just another dac. It isn’t the cleanest solution, but it has the advantage of using what you have.
    My intention is to use Plex for media streams over wired network. Last time I did this the interface on the oppo was less than good, but we'll see what it is today.

I have not decided what I will use for a music streaming service, but Tidal works with Plex.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    My intention is to use Plex for media streams over wired network. Last time I did this the interface on the oppo was less than good, but we'll see what it is today.

I have not decided what I will use for a music streaming service, but Tidal works with Plex.
    So I'm guessing you will use the Oppo 103 via DLNA.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-15-2021 at 11:16 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    So I'm guessing you will use the Oppo 103 via DLNA.
    Right. Any drawback to this? I assume any local networked media has to be via dlna server.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    Right. Any drawback to this? I assume any local networked media has to be via dlna server.
    Well, the 103 didn't do it well back then, and Oppo is out of the disc player business. It is definitely worth a try.
    It's been a while since the 103, there are more than a few good streamers out there now.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Well, the 103 didn't do it well back then, and Oppo is out of the disc player business. It is definitely worth a try.
    It's been a while since the 103, there are more than a few good streamers out there now.
    Yeah, agreed. That's what I was getting at in another post; the idea may not be worth the effort since separates are probably not in the cards. Any newer piece will do the networking better anyway.

Some of you might get a kick out of the device I use to stream from my phone to analog inputs on the pre amp. All of thirty bucks, it really sounds great!

https://www.amazon.com/BE-RCA-Blueto...8HVXBGGX&psc=1

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Some of you might get a kick out of the device I use to stream from my phone to analog inputs on the pre amp. All of thirty bucks, it really sounds great!

https://www.amazon.com/BE-RCA-Blueto...8HVXBGGX&psc=1

Jay
    The only issue I would have (and maybe not others) is bluetooth is not lossless.
    -curtis