Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Default Re: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Thanks, Curtis.

I found the discussion about room correction for a stereo system very interesting, the system in my bedroom is also without any type of equalization, I have an SVS Audyssey XT based sub equalizer if I decide to add a sub to that system. I think the real value of broader frequency equalization comes in the form of multi channel systems, large frequency mismatches between the various speakers definitely disturb the cohesiveness of the presentation. For me, I've found the Anthem ARC to do a truly wonderful job of melding the speakers into a seamless, and great sounding system for either music or movies.

I've really been trying to pay attention to the streaming/NAS options available, I've enjoyed streaming through my phone when I used to be able to go to the gym, and I likewise have enjoyed streaming from the Play-Fi on the AVM 70, my normal old school method of spinning discs guarantees the fidelity, but really limits exposure to new music.

Great thread Sheep, let us know what you come up with, and how it sounds when you put your system together, I think you've had some really great ideas tossed out here.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I found the discussion about room correction for a stereo system very interesting, the system in my bedroom is also without any type of equalization, I have an SVS Audyssey XT based sub equalizer if I decide to add a sub to that system. I think the real value of broader frequency equalization comes in the form of multi channel systems, large frequency mismatches between the various speakers definitely disturb the cohesiveness of the presentation. For me, I've found the Anthem ARC to do a truly wonderful job of melding the speakers into a seamless, and great sounding system for either music or movies.

I've really been trying to pay attention to the streaming/NAS options available, I've enjoyed streaming through my phone when I used to be able to go to the gym, and I likewise have enjoyed streaming from the Play-Fi on the AVM 70, my normal old school method of spinning discs guarantees the fidelity, but really limits exposure to new music.

Great thread Sheep, let us know what you come up with, and how it sounds when you put your system together, I think you've had some really great ideas tossed out here.

Jay
    Rooms have the most effect on bass/mid bass. If speakers are timbre matched, there usually isn't an issue with cohesiveness in a multi-channel system.

If you really want to experience a room correction system that even compensates for speaker placement, try to listen to a system with Trinnov. Incredible cohesiveness...it just costs an arm and a leg.

For streaming, lossless from Qobuz and Tidal have no loss in quality in comparison to CDs. The worst thing about streaming is the amount artists get paid. So if I come across something I really like, I buy the disc.

I'm jealous you have an AVM 70. It supposedly will be Roon Ready one day. I love my AVM 60.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-13-2021 at 12:55 PM.
    -curtis

Thanks, Jay. I will report back. It might be a month or two, but in the meantime, I plan to get the plex server up again and connect the oppo. It's been a while as we were between homes for a bit. Just getting settled in now.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Rooms have the most effect on bass/mid bass. If speakers are timbre matched, there usually isn't an issue with cohesiveness in a multi-channel system.

If you really want to experience a room correction system that even compensates for speaker placement, try to listen to a system with Trinnov. Incredible cohesiveness...it just costs an arm and a leg.

For streaming, lossless from Qobuz and Tidal have no loss in quality in comparison to CDs. The worst thing about streaming is the amount artists get paid. So if I come across something I really like, I buy the disc.

I'm jealous you have an AVM 70. It supposedly will be Roon Ready one day. I love my AVM 60.
    Don't be jealous, that was a typo, running an AVM 60 here as well. I concur that it is a fine piece of equipment.

Previous system was 5.1, processor was an Anthem D2 and it was all in a room no larger than what OP's office is in. Frequency response was VERY different speaker to speaker in this small area. After ARC did it's thing, the SQ was much improved. I don't remember exactly where the peaks and valleys occurred, those plots are probably 2 computers ago so long gone, but the equalization was well past just the bass frequencies.

Too bad the really cool toys like the Trinnov (or the Sierra Diamonds) are just too expensive to justify for the average enthusiast. I also looked at that Roon Nucleus (yes I understand it's not required for the app), looked to be a quality piece, probably won't make my must have list either. A quality network server with good streaming qualities is on my radar though.

Jay

Unless there has been a change since before the pandemic, in the demo room their Oppo 105 feeds a Rotel pre/pro(I forget the model), which feeds a ADA PTM-6150 power amp.
    Also feeding a specialized VA ABX Comparator which then feeds into an ATI 1800 series multichannel amp so we can conduct truly blind or sighted level matched comparisons.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Also feeding a specialized VA ABX Comparator which then feeds into an ATI 1800 series multichannel amp so we can conduct truly blind or sighted level matched comparisons.
    Oh yeah! Forgot about those two!!
    -curtis

Don't be jealous, that was a typo, running an AVM 60 here as well. I concur that it is a fine piece of equipment.

Previous system was 5.1, processor was an Anthem D2 and it was all in a room no larger than what OP's office is in. Frequency response was VERY different speaker to speaker in this small area. After ARC did it's thing, the SQ was much improved. I don't remember exactly where the peaks and valleys occurred, those plots are probably 2 computers ago so long gone, but the equalization was well past just the bass frequencies.

Too bad the really cool toys like the Trinnov (or the Sierra Diamonds) are just too expensive to justify for the average enthusiast. I also looked at that Roon Nucleus (yes I understand it's not required for the app), looked to be a quality piece, probably won't make my must have list either. A quality network server with good streaming qualities is on my radar though.

Jay
    Oh...you were teasing me about the AVM 70!!!

The Nucleus is not much more than an older Intel NUC in a nice case. I use an 8th Gen i5 NUC that is/was less than the third of the price of the Nucleus after configured. Running like a champ. The Roon OS has been running rock solid for 147 days since last reboot for any reason. (I probably just jinxed myself).

I just can't speak highly enough about the experience Roon provides. It isn't an audible one (unless you use its DSP functions), but more so the information/metadata at hand and what you can choose to do with with it. For me, it is a big deal because I used to love to read liner notes when I was younger. Roon has that kind of information on steroids. It is like a magazine for your music.
    -curtis

Oh...you were teasing me about the AVM 70!!!

The Nucleus is not much more than an older Intel NUC in a nice case. I use an 8th Gen i5 NUC that is/was less than the third of the price of the Nucleus after configured. Running like a champ. The Roon OS has been running rock solid for 147 days since last reboot for any reason. (I probably just jinxed myself).

I just can't speak highly enough about the experience Roon provides. It isn't an audible one (unless you use its DSP functions), but more so the information/metadata at hand and what you can choose to do with with it. For me, it is a big deal because I used to love to read liner notes when I was younger. Roon has that kind of information on steroids. It is like a magazine for your music.
    Thank you very much for that info Curtiss, I've looked at those bitsy little NUCs for a while now, since it gets your approval I think I'll pull the trigger on one of those. Are you using HDDs or SSD drives, what capacity are you using? I'm currently streaming through Amazon's HD music service, it's great quality. Roon and Qobuz sound like a great combo!

Jay

Thank you very much for that info Curtiss, I've looked at those bitsy little NUCs for a while now, since it gets your approval I think I'll pull the trigger on one of those. Are you using HDDs or SSD drives, what capacity are you using? I'm currently streaming through Amazon's HD music service, it's great quality. Roon and Qobuz sound like a great combo!

Jay
    Installing and configuring Roon/ROCK on a NUC is pretty painless, especially if you have put together a PC before. https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/...mized-core-kit. It becomes an appliance with one job and no need to worry about...no Windows or Mac OS maintenance.

There are also videos/tutorials on the net if needed. Feel free to DM if you need help.

As for storage on the NUC, I do not store my music on it. You can if you want to, and I would suggest an SSD. My local music files(less than 2 tb) are all stored on an older Synology NAS. It's probably something I need to update.

Looks like Roon has updated their website. Before, I didn't think it did a good job of describing what Roon does. It looks better now.
    https://roonlabs.com/features

I feel like I kind of hi-jacked Sheep's thread. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-14-2021 at 09:52 AM. Reason: gigs to tb
    -curtis