Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Default Re: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    Interesting, but disappointing. I can use an adapter, though, for whatever dac I end up with. Certainly don't want to stifle the speakers over minor convenience.

The Oppo does have unbalanced outs for amp use, so I assume that was the intention, but from what I have read it is not easy to work with for stored media playback, so I think I will rule it out.
    The unbalanced outs are meant to go into a preamp...not an amp.
    I have a BDP-205...stored media works pretty well. Nowadays, I use Roon...and love it.

Have you looked into Tidal or Qobuz?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The unbalanced outs are meant to go into a preamp...not an amp.
    Shows you what I know...but it makes sense.

I have a BDP-205...stored media works pretty well. Nowadays, I use Roon...and love it.

Have you looked into Tidal or Qobuz?
    Okay, good to know. I have not heard of Roon, but will check it out. Are you using just the app or hardware, too?

I used a Tidal trial 5 or 6 years ago, but the content seemed to have some holes at the time. I will check it out again.

No, I was assuming the Oppo would do the conversion, but yes, provide the line level needed for the monoblock.

For the apple content, I assumed it was airplay compatible, but I guess I was not considering just how old it is.

Edit: I may have misunderstood your question, Curtis. Yes, the Oppo would be functioning as a preamp, but also the network connected device to the media share in addition to sacd playback.
    This is exactly what we do here at the office. We have a Synology NAS feeding into a BDP-105, which is being used as the DAC, then feeding into a preamp. While you can connect the OPPO directly to an amplifier, I don't recommend it, best to go into a preamp.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Robert,
    I guess I am going to have to find time to research and experiment.
    That said...ignorance is also bliss!

One interesting thing that I have found is that I like using an external DAC even though the analog signal goes through an ADC to DAC cycle in the Anthem.
    You're welcome, Curtis. If you're happy with the sound, not so sure I'd research...as you said, ignorance is bliss. I only did as I could hear a difference. Plus, maybe your external DAC helps.

I keep my analog/vinyl pure now (RP5). Sound is superb. The only digital in the system is a dSpeaker 8033Sii for sub correction (plus whatever processing done in the Rythmik amps) and a SugarCube, which is generally bypassed except for the few albums which need help removing noise.

Okay, good to know. I have not heard of Roon, but will check it out. Are you using just the app or hardware, too?

I used a Tidal trial 5 or 6 years ago, but the content seemed to have some holes at the time. I will check it out again.
    Roon requires something to run the Roon Server/Core on. This can be a Windows, Mac, or Linux box. Then you need an Roon Endpoint in which I use a Raspberry Pi which runs Roon Bridge and that is connected to a DAC. There are other ways of creating an endpoint, and there are Roon Ready devices that are already endpoints. Roon is an aggregate of sorts for your online and local music. It can incorporate Tidal and Qobuz.

I have used Tidal and Qobuz. I am currently using Qobuz with Roon. https://roonlabs.com/ It is great having access to so much uncompressed music.
    -curtis

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. My hope is/was to save $ on the dac part and get better amp(s).

Curtis, thanks for the knowledge. I am not tied to Apple and if the other streaming options have all the tunes I listen to, but don't own, I'll switch.

I was using plex for a while and will likely start there again. It can also link with Tidal.

Curtis, thanks for the knowledge. I am not tied to Apple and if the other streaming options have all the tunes I listen to, but don't own, I'll switch.

I was using plex for a while and will likely start there again. It can also link with Tidal.
    I think you can get a good deal on Tidal through Best Buy.
    -curtis

I meant to ask, Dave, is it a passive preamp? What kind?

I meant to ask, Dave, is it a passive preamp? What kind?
    Unless there has been a change since before the pandemic, in the demo room their Oppo 105 feeds a Rotel pre/pro(I forget the model), which feeds a ADA PTM-6150 power amp.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-12-2021 at 07:42 PM.