Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Default Re: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    For what it's worth...I use Anthem ARC for music and movies below 400hz, with a bit of a bass boost centered at 50hz.
    Interesting. That seems to lineup with what Ted said about ARC and highs.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    Interesting. That seems to lineup with what Ted said about ARC and highs.
    I haven't liked EQing of highs with any room correction I have used, Anthem ARC/Genesis, Dirac, or Trinnov. Never sounds natural to me.

But all below 400hz have cleaned up the sound in my room.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I run an Anthem MRX720 for movies (and music previously). It is really good for both but I didn't care for ARC with music -- even correcting to only 200 hz or so...in my room/system, seemed to dull the highs/dynamics.
    This is intriguing to me. I wonder why that is if ARC isn't touching anything above 200hz.
    -curtis

I was considering using an old Oppo 103 essentially as a dac between a media server and/or Apple Music and feed it to monoblocks, but after doing some reading it does not seem well suited for this. I'm not sure it works with apple at all and even being the front of a media server seems iffy.

Do you all agree?

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    I was considering using an old Oppo 103 essentially as a dac between a media server and/or Apple Music and feed it to monoblocks, but after doing some reading it does not seem well suited for this. I'm not sure it works with apple at all and even being the front of a media server seems iffy.

Do you all agree?
    Do you mean using it as a preamp to the monoblocks? It should work, but not optimal.

How were you planning on feeding it Apple content?
    -curtis

No, I was assuming the Oppo would do the conversion, but yes, provide the line level needed for the monoblock.

For the apple content, I assumed it was airplay compatible, but I guess I was not considering just how old it is.

Edit: I may have misunderstood your question, Curtis. Yes, the Oppo would be functioning as a preamp, but also the network connected device to the media share in addition to sacd playback.
    Last edited by JustaSheep; 07-12-2021 at 01:36 PM.

This is intriguing to me. I wonder why that is if ARC isn't touching anything above 200hz.
    Hi Curtis,
    Actually, on one (or more) of the threads over on AVS around Anthem / Genesis, some users have discovered that ARC actually touches frequencies above the cut-off. As I recall, it may have been about level matching between what is eq'ed and what isn't. Others have stated that ARC tends to boost above the target curve and then cuts peaks. I've not experimented with REW / measurements to validate.

Robert

Got it...I am not sure the 103 can easily be used as a preamp.

It certainly doesn't support AirPlay. BTW...you don't want to use AirPlay as it converts everything to 16/48...no matter what it is. No Oppo handles AirPlay.

If you want to use Apple's CD quality music service, you should investigate using Apple TV or iPhone/iPad connected via Lightning/USB adapter to a DAC.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Hi Curtis,
    Actually, on one (or more) of the threads over on AVS around Anthem / Genesis, some users have discovered that ARC actually touches frequencies above the cut-off. As I recall, it may have been about level matching between what is eq'ed and what isn't. Others have stated that ARC tends to boost above the target curve and then cuts peaks. I've not experimented with REW / measurements to validate.

Robert
    Thanks Robert,
    I guess I am going to have to find time to research and experiment.
    That said...ignorance is also bliss!

One interesting thing that I have found is that I like using an external DAC even though the analog signal goes through an ADC to DAC cycle in the Anthem.
    -curtis

you don't want to use AirPlay as it converts everything to 16/48...no matter what it is.

If you want to use Apple's CD quality music service, you should investigate using Apple TV or iPhone/iPad connected via Lightning/USB adapter to a DAC.
    Interesting, but disappointing. I can use an adapter, though, for whatever dac I end up with. Certainly don't want to stifle the speakers over minor convenience.

The Oppo does have unbalanced outs for amp use, so I assume that was the intention, but from what I have read it is not easy to work with for stored media playback, so I think I will rule it out.