Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Default Re: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Anthem room correction (ARC) is pretty highly regarded, There are some pretty stellar deals to be found on ebay for used Anthem receivers that would be inexpensive for a person to power a stereo system and tame room modes on the cheap. Obviously there are other brands as well with other room correction programs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28436059093...QAAOSwSjlg2Q1b

Jay

I run an Anthem MRX720 for movies (and music previously). It is really good for both but I didn't care for ARC with music -- even correcting to only 200 hz or so...in my room/system, seemed to dull the highs/dynamics.

A miniDSP or dSpeaker is another option for taming room modes/eq'ing subs. The miniDSP + REW has a learning curve whereas the dSpeaker is essentially plug & play. I'm currently using the dSpeaker 8033S-ii to eq subs in my music system and am very impressed with it's performance to smooth out the bass - cross-over and phase being handled by amp settings on my Rythmik E15s.

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Anthem room correction (ARC) is pretty highly regarded, There are some pretty stellar deals to be found on ebay for used Anthem receivers that would be inexpensive for a person to power a stereo system and tame room modes on the cheap.
    Thank you. I will check that out. I used to lurk at audiogon quite a bit but never had the guts to pull the trigger on used gear. Looks like they are just a forum, not resale, now.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    ...but I didn't care for ARC with music -- even correcting to only 200 hz or so...in my room/system, seemed to dull the highs/dynamics.
    Funny you say that. I used to do the same with audyssey 2 receivers ago, used it for movies, but not music.

I definitely see the toe-out in that pic. I also saw the door you mentioned. Mine opens into the area the speaker would sit if I set it next the cabinet. Next to the cabinet would be "golden triangle" alignment. On the cabinet would be about 5' apart, 7' to listening position.

I guess I assumed absorbing would always improve sound if applied in a way that treated all tones equally, but no we may be talking theoretical in a vacuum stuff which I definitely don't want to get into.

Still equipment sales on Audiogon.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings?q=anthem

usaudiomart.com is also a good place to look for used gear.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Still equipment sales on Audiogon.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings?q=anthem

usaudiomart.com is also a good place to look for used gear.
    Thanks, not sure why I couldn't find them a few minutes ago.

no worries.

hifishark will search globally. There are other AV sites that have classified (eg AVS, etc.) which will show up there. That said, most of my used equipment purchases have been off of usaudiomart.

Any purchases you regret or any you were not able to rectify when the equipment was not in the expected condition?

Nothing I regret or unable to rectify, although I've only picked up a few things this way (eg some NOS tubes, a miniDSP10x10, a dSpeaker, some cables, a VPI periphery ring, a Soundsmith PAUA (brand new in unopened box), an amp - although the amp was used and purchased via a dealer, not usaudiomart or audigon.) I've also picked up several b-stock items directly from the manufacturer (or dealer) such as multiple pieces from Symposium, tonearm(s) from VPI, my TT.

With the internet sites, I look for sellers with very good feedback and who take paypal (if at all possible). Stating the obvious ;-). Only the tubes I had to send a check for. First transaction went great, and I recently purchased a set for my RP5.

For what it's worth...I use Anthem ARC for music and movies below 400hz, with a bit of a bass boost centered at 50hz.
    -curtis