Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Default Re: 2-channel For 11x11 room

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    As to an external room correction device, either a minidsp or dspeaker 8033 work well. I’ve used both. The mini requires REW (free software) and a umik mic, has a bit of a learning curve, and is tweakable. The dspeaker is plug and play
    Thank you. I remember reading you preferred one device for subs and the other for ~400hz and down. Is that correct and can you remind me which is which?

the dspeaker 8033 goes from 250 (I believe) and down. Strictly for subs. Most use the miniDSP 2x4HD for subs - I was at one time but moved to the 10x10 as I needed more inputs. I use the 10x10 for subs, as well, but configured for both AVR/movies and RP5/music (3 total inputs, 5 total outputs). I only eq to around 120 with the miniDSP.

dspeaker makes a more expensive model (antimode) that I believe is full range and has preamp capabilities. minidsp can also be full range.

I think both do a good job on the subs. I really like the plug & play of the dspeaker, but it is not as tweakable (does have built in bass boosts). The minidsp is a lot more flexible and has multiple configurations, but there is a learning curve for REW. Hence, I prefer the minidsp (but not by much).

Hope that answers your question.

Minidsp also has models that do Dirac, which is an excellent room correction software.

Also, thier SHD series could be a good preamp option for you.
    https://www.minidsp.com/products/str...ies/shd-series
    -curtis

Good add, Curtis.

I've no experience with either their Dirac or SHD models.

I've just sent them an email to see if my 10x10 can be upgraded to the Dirac version. I see on the website one could upgrade the 2x4HD.

@JustaSheep, circling back to affordable stereo preamps with decent specs and hopefully good sound, Emotiva just released a new one:

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-...fier-dac-tuner

The analog inputs have a completely analog path and it does have a DAC, two things you had mentioned.

I still wish they would release a multichannel pre/pro in the $1,000-1,500 range, but this seems a good option for 2-ch, albeit an entry level one.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    @JustaSheep, circling back to affordable stereo preamps with decent specs and hopefully good sound, Emotiva just released a new one:

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-...fier-dac-tuner

The analog inputs have a completely analog path and it does have a DAC, two things you had mentioned.

I still wish they would release a multichannel pre/pro in the $1,000-1,500 range, but this seems a good option for 2-ch, albeit an entry level one.
    Yeah, it seems like for the quality you can get in an avr around $3k, you should be able to get the same in a stereo pre/pro or integrated for around $1500. I'm sure there are diamonds in the rough out there that punch above their weight class, but I'd rather go with a tried and true brand.

Thanks for pointing out the Emotiva. I'm leaning towards a used Hegel at this point which negates the pure analog path need since it will be the DAC and power, but would definitely consider Emotiva in the tried and true category.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Good add, Curtis.

I've no experience with either their Dirac or SHD models.

I've just sent them an email to see if my 10x10 can be upgraded to the Dirac version. I see on the website one could upgrade the 2x4HD.
    I didn't realize Dirac is on version 3.x now.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    Yeah, it seems like for the quality you can get in an avr around $3k, you should be able to get the same in a stereo pre/pro or integrated for around $1500. I'm sure there are diamonds in the rough out there that punch above their weight class, but I'd rather go with a tried and true brand.

Thanks for pointing out the Emotiva. I'm leaning towards a used Hegel at this point which negates the pure analog path need since it will be the DAC and power, but would definitely consider Emotiva in the tried and true category.
    Hey, it is good to have options, right? 😁 The Hegels sure looks like very nice units.

I also realized that Emotiva is about to release a new series of amps as well. The new stereo one is the BasX A2, 2x160W for $450, class AB and linear power supply.

Together with the PT1 it has the potential to make for a very intriguing 2-ch system well under $1k.

Any update on this system? You seemed to be heading in the direction of the Hegel integrated preamp/amp, I'm curious as to your thoughts if indeed you bought one. I honestly can't say that I've noticed any difference in sound quality due to the pure topology of an amp or pre, but processing such as room correction, and sub woofer integration certainly can make a major impact on SQ.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Any update on this system? You seemed to be heading in the direction of the Hegel integrated preamp/amp, I'm curious as to your thoughts if indeed you bought one. I honestly can't say that I've noticed any difference in sound quality due to the pure topology of an amp or pre, but processing such as room correction, and sub woofer integration certainly can make a major impact on SQ.

Jay
    Unfortunately, no. We've had other expenses come up that sidetracked this project. We bought a 5 year old house the previous owners did everything in their power to destroy and we are still discovering issues on a fairly regular basis 5 months in.

Thanks for checking in. I will update if/when this gets off the ground.
    - Dan