Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Michigan

Default Hello from Michigan

Hello everyone from a rarity,I'm one of the elusive female audiophiles.I'm here to find out more about these speakers before giving them a try.I have Harbeths at present, which I love with acoustic music.But I would like a more sensitive speaker when I want to rock out loudly.So I'm reading and learning now.

Default Re: Hello from Michigan

Hello and welcome! You will love it here. Unlike several other audio forums, I have never seen a post that was not polite and respectful.

Never owned Harbeths, but sure they have made a name for themselves when used within their capabilities.

If you are looking for high sensitivity speakers with a solid bottom end that can play loud with no efforts, the CMT-340SE Mains could be your ticket. I have them and couldn't be happier.

However, if you want something really special, any of the models with a RAAL tweeter are the best Ascend can offer.

Enjoy your stay!

Thank you for the warm welcome:-)It does seem that everyone can discuss things respectfully on this site. Refreshing:-)

Welcome.
    I second MusicHead's recommendations. If you decide on one of the models with the RAAL, the Towers (which I have) are really great speakers for the money. Really great for music across genres and throughout the frequency range. Dedicated midrange driver is wonderful.

It's so hard to make a decision over the Internet! I've been listening to brands I'm interested in on YouTube with headphones to get a general idea of sound characteristics.It's especially helpful when someone posts a sound demo comparing two or three speakers."2 Channel " on YouTube has Sierra2 for his reference, plus he likes the same type of music as me:-)They really captured my attention,sounding more natural than the British sound I like.
    What I want in a new speaker is #1 more extension in the highs without getting shrill and #2 able to play rock music/music with multiple instruments loudly and cleanly.My Harbeths can't quite do it - they get congested and roll off the highs so the cymbals and snares get lost.I do have subs also so the bass is excellent.
    So I think the towers might be good,but dome or Raal?

I listen to alot of rock across sub-genres (Sabbath, Metallica, Floyd, Neil Young, Marillion, Type O-, Alice in Chains, etc) plus classical, jazz, bossa nova, etc. Quite happy with the highs with the Towers with RAAL. I also use subs (2xRythmik E15) so bass is excellent.

That said, you should probably call Dina or Dave at Ascend to get their opinions. As I recall, when I was first purchasing Ascend speakers (S2's), one of them preferred the NRT tweeter for rock music.

Trying to listen to speakers on Youtube with headphones is an exercise in futility. You are hearing the headphones and associated equipment you are running. It's always best to get a pair of speakers you are interested in into your home and set up where you will listen. IMHO!

Now, with your preference for loud rock, etc. consider the size of your space, listening distance to the speakers, and how much power you have to drive them. The 2EX's will play quite loudly but are less efficient than the towers. The towers will handle much greater power and play louder with less effort, and the dedicated midrange driver will give you improved mids. If you offload the bass to 1 or more subs then you could get away with the 2EX's, but that would also benefit the towers and require less power for the mains to drive them loudly.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Mag_Neato it's not completely futile to use sound demos.Especially if there are two or three speakers in a shoot out and I'm feeling confident about the reviewer's skills setting up,level matching, etc.The main characteristics become obvious - forward treble vs rolled off vs natural. Differences in the mids and bass.It's not practical for me to audition many different brands so I find it really helpful to narrow the field :-)The Sierras really stood out,plus they are more sensitive than some other contenders.Sometimes when researching something that grabs my attention I sadly uncover very low impedance dips and 85db sensitivity.
    I had Tekton monitors before the Harbeths and those could kick out the jams but I prefer the richer Harbeth sound.I appreciate everyone's thoughts so far,and I do really need to consult with Dave and Dina to choose which tweeter is optimal.

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Hello everyone from a rarity,I'm one of the elusive female audiophiles.I'm here to find out more about these speakers before giving them a try.I have Harbeths at present, which I love with acoustic music.But I would like a more sensitive speaker when I want to rock out loudly.So I'm reading and learning now.
    DM,

Hello and WELCOME to the AA Forum!

I agree with Ed's recommendations (post #7)! IMO, you Will be able to accomplish your listening goals with the 340SE all the way up to the RAAL Towers. It really just depends on Your budget, your size listening room, your power amp and your "rock-out" volume needs!

Personally, I've settled on the Sierra-2EX monitors (high pass of 50Hz), supplemented with a powered 12" sub (low pass of 50Hz)! They have a Huge Soundstage with well recorded non amplified acoustical music (equal or better than the Harbeths), but can also handle any head banging rock that I'm comfortable with!! Of course, I never drive my power amp into clipping, thus the 2EX sing beautifully with whatever I throw at em' (see HERE)!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Mag_Neato it's not completely futile to use sound demos.Especially if there are two or three speakers in a shoot out and I'm feeling confident about the reviewer's skills setting up,level matching, etc.The main characteristics become obvious - forward treble vs rolled off vs natural. Differences in the mids and bass.It's not practical for me to audition many different brands so I find it really helpful to narrow the field :-)The Sierras really stood out,plus they are more sensitive than some other contenders.Sometimes when researching something that grabs my attention I sadly uncover very low impedance dips and 85db sensitivity.
    I had Tekton monitors before the Harbeths and those could kick out the jams but I prefer the richer Harbeth sound.I appreciate everyone's thoughts so far,and I do really need to consult with Dave and Dina to choose which tweeter is optimal.
    DM,

Speaker shopping is a different animal these days with the decline of B&M stores, so I can appreciate the reliance on these video comparisons. Hopefully they give you enough of the true sound that you are not disappointed once you get the speakers in your system. But that's why most online companies such as Ascend offer the in-home trial period. With that in mind, sometimes if you have any doubts on the sound in your room, some people will order the monitor version vs the tower (2EX vs Sierra Tower) to get the general "flavor" of the sound. Since return shipping is often left to the customer this would save a considerable amount of cost. If you do like the sound of the EX but really want the towers, you will only be out the return shipping on the 2EX's. If you order the towers and wish to return them, your out of pocket will be significantly higher. Just some food for thought!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables