Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Room acoustics help needed

Default Re: Room acoustics help needed

It’s Brandon, but yeah. Looks like I bit off more than I could chew.
    Last edited by choirbass; 07-01-2021 at 05:26 AM.

Ted quoted you but wondering if his comment was meant for me ;-).

Anyways, my listening space is 16x12x ~12 (ceiling is tiered) but open on two sides (back to foyer/dining room, left side to den/kitchen). I did put a few panels in (tri-trap in front corners, monster traps behind two front subs; about a year later added 4 gobo free standing acoustic panels - 1 each to the outside wall of each front speaker, 2 along the front wall -- originally had these 2 behind my seats freestanding but too much for my wife).

Honestly, I can't hear much of a difference. One of these days, I may move them out of the room, measure fronts and subs with REW and then put them back and remeasure to look at the impact, if any, of the traps. Maybe that my hearing isn't what it used to be - getting older and likely fallout from my youth of garage band days and metal concerts.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Ted quoted you but wondering if his comment was meant for me ;-).
    Sorry Robert, I did mean post #10 for CB (Brandon)...guess my CRS is acting up again!?!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Sorry Robert, I did mean post #10 for CB (Brandon)...guess my CRS is acting up again!?!

Ted
    No need to apologize, Ted. I probably had a senior moment and misfollowed the last few posts on this thread!

Best,
    Robert

And I think there’s already a Brandon, so CB is probably best.
    Last edited by choirbass; 07-01-2021 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    And I think there’s already a Brandon, so CB is probably best.
    Understood Brandon (errr, CB)!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I'm new here but do have a few years experience with acoustic treatments.My room is pretty much a cube,ugh!16 x 17 with 8ft ceiling. I bought a package of GIK panels to experiment with.I wanted to eliminate the sonic boom that was happening as the bass wave and half wave at both 16ft and 8ft were slamming back and forth. The biggest difference was the Monster bass trap centered between the speakers mounted as high towards the ceiling as I could manage along with straddling the corners all the way to the ceiling where the bass really builds up.Walking around the room and standing on a ladder while playing a heavy bass track it's easy to hear where the bass peaks are. The result is no more boom and smoother bass.Treating the side walls made no difference, but I am getting some reflections from behind because of a cabinet that resides there:-( It's a beautiful old cabinet that won't really fit elsewhere darn it.I'm still thinking of adding some free standing panels to pull out for long listening sessions.... but it's not really that big of a deal.Anyway,I am very pleased with how they worked out in my room.
    If one wanted to experiment inexpensively consider buying a few panels of OwensCorning 703 and tacking them up here and there just to see.

Red face Re: Room acoustics help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    If one wanted to experiment inexpensively consider buying a few panels of OwensCorning 703 and tacking them up here and there just to see.
    Heavy Quilts also do well as treatment experiment validation!

Ted

Quilts and heavy drapes are helpful for taming reflections.Bass traps need more depth and density to have an effect on the looong bass waves.Love those bright colored quilts!