Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Room acoustics help needed

Default Room acoustics help needed

Since room acoustics is the great majority of what we hear, what would be the best way to have foam panels for a 10ft x 10ft x 8ft room?

Edit: after a quick YouTube search, I realized it’s much more complicated than a simple question.
    Last edited by choirbass; 06-29-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Default Re: Room acoustics help needed

You could call ATS Acoustics, they'll make recommendations based on your room and goals
    Nate

Thank you, Nate

or GIK Acoustics - they'll do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    Since room acoustics is the great majority of what we hear, what would be the best way to have foam panels for a 10ft x 10ft x 8ft room?

Edit: after a quick YouTube search, I realized it’s much more complicated than a simple question.
    CB,

For a 2-channel or multi channel setup?
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Thinking back on my discussions with GIK, I'd start with
    * bass traps like the 4' GIK Tri-Trap in the 4 corners and acoustic panels at the first reflection points on the side walls (either the 244 or 242) if there isn't furniture, curtains, etc. to tame reflections

As budget permits, I'd add 2x2 Monster bass traps behind each sub.

Depending on your preferences and results from above (and as budget permits), add additional Tri-Traps in each corner so go from floor to ceiling and another 242 or 244 on the ceiling at that first reflection point. Finally, 2 or 3 242 or 244 acoustic panels along the wall behind your speakers (eg, one behind the FL, one behind the FR, one in the middle) and a couple on the back wall.

I'd do it in stages to evaluate improvements and not over deaden the room.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 06-30-2021 at 03:54 AM.

Turns out I don’t have have room for any room treatments, walls are pretty much full. It would be for 2.0 channel stereo if I could do anything. I suppose the ceiling can be used it’s pretty bare.
    Last edited by choirbass; 06-30-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Room acoustics help needed

Turns out I don’t have have room for any room treatments, walls are pretty much full. It would be for 2.0 channel stereo if I could do anything. I suppose the ceiling can be used it’s pretty bare.
    My dedicated music listening room is very similar to yours, 9'W x 10'L x 11'H (90sf or 990cf)! It is a quasi near-field listening experience that has carpeted flooring, bare sheet rock on front/back 9' walls and 11' ceiling, with the left 10' wall having double french door windows and the right 10' wall hosting the 32" door entry way and double closet doors!

Because of the love seat listening position, window shade treatments and carpeted flooring, the room is a good balance between too live or too dead! A hand clap has a very short .1 millisecond reverb and all walls are treated with either oil or water framed paintings!

Last year, I experimented with four 2" X 2ft square GIK Acoustiscs-2A Alpha Diffusor/Absorber panels (see HERE). I also had virtually no room for fancy room treatments, but was willing to try these panels behind my component/speaker set-up wall and listening position back wall. After a full month and many hours of room placements and detailed listening sessions (trials on every wall surface and about every configuration I could come up with), I returned the panels. I simply could not Improve any facet of the soundstage presentation, nor any areas of the room's acoustics that I enjoyed in my sweet listening spot!

For reference, I've included pics that show my overall current room design set-up and the details of natural treatments that seem to work very well for My listening environment. Curious if you have noticed/measured unbalanced bandwidth responses (peaks/lulls) that compel you to seek artificial room treatments outside of your normal room decor?

Ted

Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I just thought that there might be additional benefits to having treatments. But it’s seeming that what I have now as far as room layout is good enough I guess. Thank you for all the help everyone
    Last edited by choirbass; 06-30-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Exclamation Re: Room acoustics help needed

I just thought that there might be additional benefits to having treatments. But it’s seeming that what I have now as far as room layout is good enough I guess. Thank you for all the help everyone
    CB,

For your room, your components and your music, you could possibly "hear" additional benefits with some room treatments...or possibly not. The only real way to find out would be to get some treatments in the room and experiment with your sound presentation changes (even if just by ear). I'd simply recommend that if you attempt that route, just be sure the mnf. of said product has a solid return policy guarantee!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 06-30-2021 at 12:45 PM.