Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
Ed & Robert,

Appreciate sharing of your experiences on bass management! I never got into any of the automatic digital evaluation/equalization sources for room management (not sure I ever will). Being an older audiophile, I just use my analog ears (still testing well below the 20db normal human hearing), test CD's (20Hz-20KHz sweeps) and a wide genre of very familiar music! To my sweep spot ears, there is virtually no peaks/nulls in the full range response (till it gets beyond 15kHz, my current upper hearing limits), thus no reason for any room equalization! Guess you could qualify my music playback achievements as the old fashion "SWAG" methodology, with a "KISS" of attitude!

Ed, your descriptions, "super clean, detailed, powerful, seemingly endless headroom" is what I have Now with my current single sub in my 990cf listening room! There really is nothing I Need to improve what I have in musical bass (tonality, slam, speed, tightness, accuracy, depth...it's all there), but Want to make a Visual set-up change in my very small dedicated music room. This will dictate "2" smaller subs (one behind each S-2EX) and a small -center channel placed- equipment rack. Again, all for mostly Aesthetic reasons (and hopefully keeping the sub performance I already have)!

My question remains, should I get the L12's or the F12's?

Ted
I hear you! I had what I considered tight, tuneful, powerful bass with just the 1 sub as well. It wasn't until I measured the response that I discovered a huge dip. Never knew it was missing because I never had it. I agree that from 80hz & up my frequency response looks pretty darn good. Bass is a different animal when it comes to room interaction and really, most of the time, needs correction. Once I was able to identify what was actually going on in my room, I was able to correct for it. By boosting bass output with multiple subs, I was able to raise those dips enough to allow me to then create an EQ curve in REW that cut out the nasty peaks that muddy bass detail and speed. I never expected the results after doing that to make such a big difference.

I understand being happy with what you have. You will be richer and happier if you don't worry about improving it. The pitfall of this hobby!

I'd at least recommend trying to take measurements of what's going on in your room, just as a baseline.