Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

Default Re: Introducing the Sierra-2EX!!!

There is nothing in the crossover that is different between the "standard" Sierra models vs one used as a center. The only thing you will need to do with the EX is rotate the RAAL tweeter so it is vertical when the speaker lies on its side. The other difference is that when you order one as a center you get a full length grill that covers the entire baffle.

Default Re: Sierra-2EX Klippel NFS Measurements!

Quote Originally Posted by Alleric View Post
    Thank you for the reply, but no. I've never shopped the 340's. This was a discussion about the Sierra 1's. I do not recall if it was with Mr. Fabrikant or someone else at the time (2011-2012). Tweeter mounted on the lateral and a slight crossover change. Regardless, if someone can speak to if there is a different upgrade kit for a center to be taken from Sierra 1 to 2 EX, I would appreciate it.
    Mag_Neato's reply was better. I meant that there is no difference in the crossover. The upgrade kit to go from Sierra-1 to 2EX is exactly the same for left, right and center speakers.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Alleric View Post
    Been a while. Apologies. Hope folks are well.

My brain is telling me that I remember the crossover in the Sierra 1 center is slightly different than the normal Sierra 1? If that's the case, does that also hold true of the Sierra 2 EX center vs normal? Is there a listing for a "center" upgrade kit or... ?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Alleric,

The other posters are correct, there is absolutely no difference between the Sierra-1 crossover used in the left/right models and the center version. The same for Sierra-2EX. For both Sierra-1 and Sierra-2EX centers, we rotate the tweeter 90 degrees for proper horizontal dispersion and we also include a full length grille instead of the standard 3/4 length.

thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Alleric,

The other posters are correct, there is absolutely no difference between the Sierra-1 crossover used in the left/right models and the center version. The same for Sierra-2EX. For both Sierra-1 and Sierra-2EX centers, we rotate the tweeter 90 degrees for proper horizontal dispersion and we also include a full length grille instead of the standard 3/4 length.

thanks!
    Ah, forgot about the elliptical wave guide on the Sierra-1 tweeter necessitating the need to rotate it.

Dave, what are your thoughts on toe-in for the EX? I know the RAAL has extremely wide horizontal dispersion, so would the woofer have more influence on that?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Exclamation Re: Sierra-2EX Klippel NFS Measurements!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Ah, forgot about the elliptical wave guide on the Sierra-1 tweeter necessitating the need to rotate it.

Dave, what are your thoughts on toe-in for the EX? I know the RAAL has extremely wide horizontal dispersion, so would the woofer have more influence on that?
    Great question, Ed!

Hope you don't mind me chiming in with my Siera-2/Sierra-2EX experience...

IMHO, I find the 2EX crossover/integration/blend between the RAAL and EX mid/bass Much More coherent and seamless, allowing me to easily "toe-out" the 2EX 5 degrees! The toe-out creates a huge 3D soundstage presentation that is very large and very deep...center image and musician imaging remains rock solid. It is accurate and precise in providing a realistic walk-into Live Venue Aura of Sound, just as I have experienced when attending live un-amplified acoustical performances! The S2 was very good, but the 2EX takes the stereo holographic reproduction to a whole other level of LIVE!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Great question, Ed!

Hope you don't mind me chiming in with my Siera-2/Sierra-2EX experience...

IMHO, I find the 2EX crossover/integration/blend between the RAAL and EX mid/bass Much More coherent and seamless, allowing me to easily "toe-out" the 2EX 5 degrees! The toe-out creates a huge 3D soundstage presentation that is very large and very deep...center image and musician imaging remains rock solid. It is accurate and precise in providing a realistic walk-into Live Venue Aura of Sound, just as I have experienced when attending live un-amplified acoustical performances! The S2 was very good, but the 2EX takes the stereo holographic reproduction to a whole other level of LIVE!!

Ted
    Thanks for your input, Ted!

I have been enjoying my EX's since I upgraded from the 2's right after Dave & Co. released the upgrade kits. A friend brought his regular 2's over to a/b them and, for sure, the EX's are better in many ways.

I was hoping Dave could shed some technical light on the subject of toe-in/toe-out relative to the dispersion characteristics of the EX drivers. Ted, I may try your "reverse-toe-in" method for S&G's!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Thumbs up Re: Sierra-2EX Klippel NFS Measurements!

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Thanks for your input, Ted! I have been enjoying my EX's since I upgraded from the 2's right after Dave & Co. released the upgrade kits. A friend brought his regular 2's over to a/b them and, for sure, the EX's are better in many ways.

I was hoping Dave could shed some technical light on the subject of toe-in/toe-out relative to the dispersion characteristics of the EX drivers. Ted, I may try your "reverse-toe-in" method for S&G's!
    Go for it, Ed! Easy for me, as the 2EX stands have pivoting 3/4" wood plates that can swivel 360 degrees!

The "reverse-toe-in" works well in my setup, but I do have them in a small 90sf semi-near-field listening room with only 5ft of separation and a 7ft listening position distance, so would not be surprised if I might be the only audio-nut that it works well for!?!

Ted

Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Go for it, Ed! Easy for me, as the 2EX stands have pivoting 3/4" wood plates that can swivel 360 degrees!

The "reverse-toe-in" works well in my setup, but I do have them in a small 90sf semi-near-field listening room with only 5ft of separation and a 7ft listening position distance, so would not be surprised if I might be the only audio-nut that it works well for!?!

Ted

Hmm, with only 5' of separation between speakers and a 7' listening distance I can understand why that could work for you. I don't have the exact distances handy but my speakers are roughly 7' apart and I MAY be at 7' listening distance, maybe even 6'. I also have DIY acoustic panels at the 1st reflection points on the side walls, as well as corner bass traps I built. The speakers are well into the room off the front wall, roughly 3' out, and about 2' in from the side walls. They are toed-in to where the inner sides of the speakers are visible, with the driver axes intersecting about 2' behind my head.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Regarding the discussion on toe-in / toe-out for Sierra-2EX. From a purely technical standpoint, a few degrees inward or outward would not be audible.

You can see this in the Sierra-2EX NFS contour plot.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/att...3&d=1622523203

There is basically no measurable change from on-axis (0 degrees) to +/-40 degs. The Sierra-2EX has exceptionally wide horizontal dispersion. There *might* be some very minor audible changes starting at +/- 40 degs, but we are talking about a few decibels at most.

From a subjective view taking into account the measurements, toeing the speakers outward could subject your side walls to receiving slightly more energy from the upper band of the woofer (where the contour plot shows some narrowing at ~3kHz) 3kHz = ~4.5" so it is rather directional, thus providing more reflected sound in your room which adds to spaciousness.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thumbs up Re: Sierra-2EX Klippel NFS Measurements!

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Regarding the discussion on toe-in / toe-out for Sierra-2EX. From a purely technical standpoint, a few degrees inward or outward would not be audible.

You can see this in the Sierra-2EX NFS contour plot.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/att...3&d=1622523203

There is basically no measurable change from on-axis (0 degrees) to +/-40 degs. The Sierra-2EX has exceptionally wide horizontal dispersion. There *might* be some very minor audible changes starting at +/- 40 degs, but we are talking about a few decibels at most.

From a subjective view taking into account the measurements, toeing the speakers outward could subject your side walls to receiving slightly more energy from the upper band of the woofer (where the contour plot shows some narrowing at ~3kHz) 3kHz = ~4.5" so it is rather directional, thus providing more reflected sound in your room which adds to spaciousness.
    Thanks for the clarification, Dave!

Explains well why the 2EX in my music room setup (baffle fronts 2ft away from room boundaries) works to expand the overall soundstage presentation!

Ted