Thread: Outside width of Horizon drivers? (mulling placement inside AV cabinet)

Default Outside width of Horizon drivers? (mulling placement inside AV cabinet)

I know placing the wonderful but outsized Horizon has been discussed a lot but I didn't notice this particular point (apologies if I'm revisiting).

What is the edge to edge distance on the outside of the Horizon's outer woofers?
    (e.g. leftmost edge of left woofer to rightmost edge of right woofer)

I'm asking to visualize how close to/overlapping the supports of my AV cabinet they would be if I made the top shelf tall enough to accommodate the center.

I've got a Salamander Synergy rack with 18.5" spacing between front supports and 18" of total interior height (normally divided by one shelf but configurable). Mine is a 3-wide unit. It would be configured something like this: https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/av...rgy-model-236/

It occurs to me that if I really wanted to fit the center inside properly I'd have to expand to four units wide and omit the center post, but I may not have the space for that. That configuration would look more like this: https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/av...rgy-model-245/

I don't know yet what the space in the room will feel like with all the furniture in place. But barring a big AV cabinet change I imagine putting the Horizon on a stand in front of the cabinet (to be flanked by my two Sierra 2s) is likely the acoustic ideal.

-v
    Last edited by vkottas; 05-24-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Default Re: Outside width of Horizon drivers? (mulling placement inside AV cabinet)

Quote Originally Posted by vkottas View Post
    I know placing the wonderful but outsized Horizon has been discussed a lot but I didn't notice this particular point (apologies if I'm revisiting).

What is the edge to edge distance on the outside of the Horizon's outer woofers?
    (e.g. leftmost edge of left woofer to rightmost edge of right woofer)

I'm asking to visualize how close to/overlapping the supports of my AV cabinet they would be if I made the top shelf tall enough to accommodate the center.

I've got a Salamander Synergy rack with 18.5" spacing between front supports and 18" of total interior height (normally divided by one shelf but configurable). Mine is a 3-wide unit. It would be configured something like this: https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/av...rgy-model-236/

It occurs to me that if I really wanted to fit the center inside properly I'd have to expand to four units wide and omit the center post, but I may not have the space for that. That configuration would look more like this: https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/av...rgy-model-245/

I don't know yet what the space in the room will feel like with all the furniture in place. But barring a big AV cabinet change I imagine putting the Horizon on a stand in front of the cabinet (to be flanked by my two Sierra 2s) is likely the acoustic ideal.

-v
    Please download the attached dimensions.

hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Outside width of Horizon drivers? (mulling placement inside AV cabinet)

Thank you, Dave!

I see this is the schematic for the NrT tweeter but I assume the placement of the woofers is the same for the ribbon version?

-v

Thank you, Dave!

I see this is the schematic for the NrT tweeter but I assume the placement of the woofers is the same for the ribbon version?

-v
    Yes
    Nate

Thanks Nate!

-v

Thank you, Dave!

-v
    Correct, there are no differences in the cabinets between the dome version and the ribbon version (other than the tweeter cutout)

I provided you with a few different dimensions, it is the inner dimensions between the outer edges of the woofers surround that you need to watch out for.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com