Thread: Need recommendation for phono preamp

Default Need recommendation for phono preamp

I'm getting back into vinyl after close to 30 years.

Looking for any guidance for a phono preamp for MM cartridges that works well with Denon receiver+Ascend speakers (I have Planar P2 turntable, Denon X4000 and Sierra-1's L/R).

Mainly looking at whether Rega MM Mk3 will have noticeable improvement vs Rega A2D in terms of preserving fine detail in the source and how they differ in sound quality.

Appreciate any quick replies.

Default Re: Need recommendation for phono preamp

Budget?

I've read really good things about the iFi phono stage as a budget phono preamp.

Music Fidelity V90-LPS is a great phono preamp. Reasonably priced, handles both MM/MC. I used one previously (and would consider selling if you are interested). I think it is around 350 new, although may have been replaced by the LX2 LPS.

Manley Chinook is an awesome phono stage but significantly more expensive than the above. That said, I've seen them for sale used on usaudiomart or audigon for 1500-1800. MM/MC, lots of adjustments, and tubes (which can be changed to tailor the sound). This is what I currently run.

Other higher budget options include PSAudio (I've not heard it but read good reviews on it at the VPI Forum) or Rogue Audio (again, I've not heard their stand-alone phono preamps, but do use a Rogue RP5 and ST100 in my system and a Atlas Magnum II previously -- outstanding value for the money.)

I have Sierra 1's and a Denon receiver also (X3700) and thinking about getting a turntable myself (been looking at Rega nd Pro-Ject). How much better are the external preamp's over the one built-in the Denons?

I've no experience with Denon built-in phono preamps but would expect it isn't as good as a stand-alone preamp (added cost to the receiver). However, you could always try it first to see how it works for you. I'm sure you know that if you go to a stand-alone preamp, you would not use the phono input on the Denon but another analog in.

Which Rega and Project are you looking at?

VPI make some nice entry level tables, including one with a phono preamp (that can be turned off, I believe) & cartridge. Not sure if it is in your budget, though. U-Turn also makes budget friendly tables that look pretty good. Both of these are US manufacturers ;-)

I was looking at the Debut Carbon EVO and the Planar 1 (both in the $450 ballpark). I have not looked into the VPI or U-Turns so I will check them out...thanks!

Sounds good, chas. VPI may sell direct. Otherwise, I can recommend Erik at Gig Harbor Audio (Washington State) or Jeff at Reference Analog (Oklahoma) as really good dealers to work with.

I have a Technics SL-1200 that is connected to a pair of CBM-170s using the Schiit Mani. I switch between Ortofon and Shure cartridges, and there's nothing to complain about (for me).