Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Atmos height speakers for a system that uses RAAL tweeters.

Default Re: Atmos height speakers for a system that uses RAAL tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    We must all have similar taste....I also enjoy my LG 65C8. Also planning to finish my bonus room HT with atmos using 340SE across the front and 200s for everything else.
    Hey Brandon, how is it going for you in these crazy times? Seems like forever since Terry's GTG.

What is a bonus room HT? Sounds like a theater room for the kids.

Jay

Hi Jay,
    Going pretty well considering. Those days of the audio GTGs were so much fun! Now I am lucky if I can listen to something other than my 7 years olds shows on the system My days of sitting back and listening to music are long gone!

We remodeled our home last year and the bonus room above the garage has some games and soon a HT setup! Here are the pics I could find. The pool table is under the ping pong and is missing from the bar picture that's on the opposite end of the room from the TV.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Love my LG OLED too! 65C7

Until my girlfriend heard my soundsystem and saw the TV, she wouldn't have bought into either of them.

Now she is talking about a bigger OLED when we get our new place. I have to get her thinking the same way about the soundsystem, but that will take a little more work.
    I've got the 65C6P in my bedroom, best TV I have ever owned!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

So I set up a temporary 5.1.2 Atmos configuration to get a feeling for what I could expect from the height implementation. I have the SVS elevation, and the S-2s that will be used as rear speakers for comparison purposes.

I have to say I'm pretty well disappointed at the lack of use of those channels, I've played about half of my 4K movies and have yet to hear anything of note coming from the height position. I was really surprised that movies such as Midway, with tons of planes diving overhead, and bombs falling from above, didn't have discrete sounds of those things from the height speakers. There was enough ambient content to keep the signal triggered amp running, but it has been a much less than satisfying experience currently.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    So I set up a temporary 5.1.2 Atmos configuration to get a feeling for what I could expect from the height implementation. I have the SVS elevation, and the S-2s that will be used as rear speakers for comparison purposes.

I have to say I'm pretty well disappointed at the lack of use of those channels, I've played about half of my 4K movies and have yet to hear anything of note coming from the height position. I was really surprised that movies such as Midway, with tons of planes diving overhead, and bombs falling from above, didn't have discrete sounds of those things from the height speakers. There was enough ambient content to keep the signal triggered amp running, but it has been a much less than satisfying experience currently.

Jay
    Are your speakers mounted overhead or on the front wall? That may make a difference with what content is sent to them. I like having my Atmos speakers mounted on the ceiling much more so than as heights on the front wall. I agree though, that many Atmos movies have very little 'height' information. 'A Quiet Place' was done well, especially when they are under the steps.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Are your speakers mounted overhead or on the front wall? That may make a difference with what content is sent to them. I like having my Atmos speakers mounted on the ceiling much more so than as heights on the front wall. I agree though, that many Atmos movies have very little 'height' information. 'A Quiet Place' was done well, especially when they are under the steps.
    Hey Nate, for now they are sitting on shelves high up close to the ceiling, since this is an experiment. I just played the action parts of Midway again with only the heights playing, there were some scenes that did have quite a bit of sound coming from the heights, although in comparison to the pounding floor speaker volume, not all that much.

I am pretty sure what most of the sound engineers are shooting for is expanding the dimensionality of the sound stage, many of the tracks have reflected or resonant content, much like some of the multi channel surround titles use the surround speakers for.

I am very pleased with the SVS Elevation speakers in their limited role as height speakers. They don't hold a candle to the S-2s in a full range stereo application, but they are well qualified for height duty, they sound really good for what they are, and they are very nice looking speakers especially considering their price point.

Edit: I will order 'A Quiet Place' ASAP, sounds like a good one for this purpose. In answer to the speaker position, they are in the middle of the room above the MLP, processor is set to middle in-ceiling speakers.

Jay
    Last edited by petmotel; 06-03-2021 at 08:31 AM.

petmotel -

I agree, as well, that alot of ATMOS movies don't have much in the height channels. I thought Midway was pretty good, though. Another suggestion is Hunger Games (the 3rd one for sure. Need to rewatch the 4th). I also have an ATMOS demo disk (found on ebay) that's really cool - obviously works the heights/ceilings to promote the technology.

I recall you may have an Anthem. Have you also tried switching the setting from on-wall to ceiling for the ATMOS speakers?

I assume you also level matched the heights.

Processor is an Anthem AVM60, speaker levels for the heights were set by ear, should be very close. As noted above I have the heights set as middle in-ceiling as that is the closest to how it is configured. Just bought the movie Nate suggested as well as "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" because it's a Quentin Tarantino flick that I don't have!

Jay

nice processor. Wondering if there is more info if set to front? Could be worth a try. Any plans to add a second set? When I was researching ATMOS, general consensus was front and back (or middle, I assume) was better than just one set (eg front only).

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    nice processor. Wondering if there is more info if set to front? Could be worth a try. Any plans to add a second set? When I was researching ATMOS, general consensus was front and back (or middle, I assume) was better than just one set (eg front only).

Robert
    I bought two pairs of the Elevation speakers, I have everything I need for a 7.1.4 configuration. The system is currently in too small of a room, I'm going to be moving the system to a much larger area sometime in the near future. I also have read that the 4 speaker set is better.

Jay