Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Atmos height speakers for a system that uses RAAL tweeters.

Default Re: Atmos height speakers for a system that uses RAAL tweeters.

No worries, MusicHead. I wish there was consistency in speaker list pricing - some are per pair, some are per speaker.

For me, the HTM200's work great for ATMOS (mounted high on wall) and blend quite well with my bed speakers (Towers with RAAL, Luna Duo Center, and S2 surrounds).

I spoke at length with Bernie at the "Audio Store" which is where the AVM was purchased. He, as many here have suggested, advised timbre matching the height speakers is pretty much unnecessary. He suggested that something with capable output (at least 6" woofers) would be helpful, I suppose in a large theater room played at reference, output could be a significant factor, although no one here has made mention of that.

I've still not settled on what to get, but I'm not locked in to RAAL tweeters at this point. Undoubtedly, an enclosed speaker will best suit my application where they will not be mounted in a drywall ceiling. The good part is that I can look at relatively inexpensive bookshelf type speakers.

Jay

https://www.svsound.com/products/pri...nt=26537028038

Anyone have any experience with the SVS speakers in the above link? At $250 a pop for the gloss white, these come with a wall mounting bracket, they look decent, and I love my SVS sub. Not crazy about an aluminum dome tweeter, I had some metal domes in my car quite a long time ago, they were very harsh.

Jay

Read a review by Mark Henninger on AVS forum, I wonder if he's ever met a product he didn't like? Bit of a conflict of interest when your review includes products from site sponsors.
    https://www.avsforum.com/threads/svs...#post-53068402

Read a more neutral/honest review: http://noaudiophile.com/SVS_Prime_Bookshelf/ which told me what I would/should expect from these speakers.

I hope I'm not going to kick myself in the arse, went ahead and ordered 4 of these rascals. My brain hurts, I'm just tired of thinking about it. Thank goodness for Anthem ARC, hopefully it will make these speakers bearable. I will post back in due time, after I've spent time with them.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    https://www.svsound.com/products/pri...nt=26537028038

Anyone have any experience with the SVS speakers in the above link? At $250 a pop for the gloss white, these come with a wall mounting bracket, they look decent, and I love my SVS sub. Not crazy about an aluminum dome tweeter, I had some metal domes in my car quite a long time ago, they were very harsh.

Jay
    What do you see as the advantage of these over the HTM-200SE?
    -curtis

My guess is they have a bracket, mount flat to the wall and pre-angled down. I had looked at these as an ATMOS option some time ago for that reason and passed - went with the HTM200SE's.

petmotel - I have an Anthem as well. Personally, I wouldn't rely on ARC (or any other RC) to make speakers bearable. Hopefully, there is a trial period.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    What do you see as the advantage of these over the HTM-200SE?
    Funny you should ask that, I asked myself that very question after I ordered them. Strictly aesthetics and mounting solution, if the aluminum dome is too harsh, I will replace with 200s.

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Funny you should ask that, I asked myself that very question after I ordered them. Strictly aesthetics and mounting solution, if the aluminum dome is too harsh, I will replace with 200s.
    Got it.
    I would have given the timbre match (they sound pretty seamless as surrounds with my Sierra-2's) and the SEAS tweeter the nod.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    petmotel - I have an Anthem as well. Personally, I wouldn't rely on ARC (or any other RC) to make speakers bearable. Hopefully, there is a trial period.
    ditto - and I have an AVM60
    -curtis

I had Energy RCs with aluminum domes...if anything with most content they sounded recessed or laid back...never harsh. I reckon it depends on several variables... design and room acoustics...come to mind.

My mains being soft dome...made things a bit simpler but even within the same material it could be cumbersome from a design stand point to find a happy medium. Essentially I looked at proven architectural design from mfg like paradigm, PSB, Focal and MA....looking at the specs and sensitivity of each design....for surround or moreso Atmos implementation....I don't think you'd not find a suitable design for this application...from any of the listed above...with this hobby we often obsess over trivial things.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.