Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Atmos height speakers for a system that uses RAAL tweeters.

Default Re: Atmos height speakers for a system that uses RAAL tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    From what I've read, agree that top (on or in ceiling) give the best overhead experience. High walls aren't quite as good but maybe 85-90% of the way there. Ceilings in my listening area are trayed, from about 10' to 13', and not really a good spot for on/in ceiling so I went with top of the front & rear walls, angled downwards. Works fine for me.

That makes a lot of sense. I have a more traditional cathedral ceiling when it is 8 ft on the left and right walls and then goes to a 10 ft peak in the middle of the room. I think in my case if I go with atmos speakers in that room, that inceiling speakers would be fine, just slightly wider than if the ceiling were flat. But I just blew 20 inches of insulation in the attic, so I don’t want to mess with going up there in that.

So I was thinking about getting some SVS Prime Elevation speakers, to flush mount on the ceiling. The angle of the speakers would just about counteract the angle of the ceiling were they would pretty much be firing straight down. I could get that super flat speaker wire that you can paint right over, so that I don’t have to go into the attic running wire. The ceiling has textured paint though, so I’ll likely wait until we paint the house to do this. It is nice that there are so many options out there.

I'd recommend buying designs with a pivoting tweeter...it should help in positioning sound onto desired locations or seating area. I've been extremely happy with my MA inwalls...moving from a traditional mounted monitor and bracket. I'd also consider getting enclosed speaker with minimum 8" mids...you'll get a little more fuller sound since these type of speakers are generally void of reproducing or excelling at mid bass frequencies. Otherwise they are easy to install except for doing a clean install through ceiling etc.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

I think I have a suggestion for Dave's next big adventure. Not sure I can pull the trigger on a non-Ascend product for Atmos speakers, time for my favorite speaker designer to start thinking outside of the box. I simply ask for something that matches/plays nice with RAAL tweeters, has the dispersion characteristics needed for the application, and is easy to mount in ceiling or an acoustic enclosure. Cakewalk for a guy like Dave don't you agree?

Jay

I've been looking at a couple of possible contenders, Monitor Audio CP-CT380IDC, or SONANCE VP89R,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/11387745921...4AAOSwA~ddcSk7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12329752308...MAAOSwTMxbabT6

both probably WAY more than what I really need, but you know.......

Jay

I've echoed that sentiment in the past but I know Dave usually recommends Sonance iirc...they have an office just down the road from Ascend head quarters... perhaps a collaborative effort...lol.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Emotiva recently released this:

https://emotiva.com/products/airmoti...udspeaker-pair

Not cheap but their folded tweeter may integrate well with Ascend's RAAL.

Those Emotiva's aren't that expensive, IMO...299/pair. A bit lower in efficiency, though, then I like.

for the Emotiva folded ribbon, I am not sure if the dispersion of the tweeter is idea, or if it would be any better match than in tonality than another Ascend speaker.

I'm using HTM-200SE's for my surrounds along with the Sierra-2's upfront, and while I would like to have RAALs in the surrounds, the 200SE's do a very good job.

Although I understand the sentiment for wanting in-walls, out of the many systems I have heard (Ascend and non-Ascend), there was only one that I thought had implemented in-walls well. That was an all around Triad system.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    Emotiva recently released this:

https://emotiva.com/products/airmoti...udspeaker-pair

Not cheap but their folded tweeter may integrate well with Ascend's RAAL.
    Those look interesting but with the resonating diaphragm being 25mm x 25mm, the dispersion characteristics (a major performance benefit of the RAAL) will be limited. Likely won't matter all that much being positioned to fire downwards from the ceiling.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Those Emotiva's aren't that expensive, IMO...299/pair. A bit lower in efficiency, though, then I like.
    Didn't realize the price was for a pair! 🥴