Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atmos height speakers for a system that uses RAAL tweeters.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Atmos height speakers for a system that uses RAAL tweeters.

I just took the leap to an Anthem AVM 60 processor. The 7 channels on the floor will consist of 4 RAAL equipped towers, RAAL Horizon center, and S2s in the rear. Are S2s or Lunas viable as height speakers, or would the increased vertical dispersion of a dome style be better in this particular application?

Some time back I tried S1s with NRT tweets as surrounds in a 5.1 configuration. I didn't like the mismatch and converted to S2s. I don't want to buy twice, will it take ribbons as heights to properly integrate with the rest? I'm thinking Lunas with swivel mounts for their diminutive size/weight.

Jay

Default Re: Atmos height speakers for a system that uses RAAL tweeters.

Congrats on the AVM60..
    Personally, I run HTM200's as heights with RAALs on the 5 floor channels (5.2.4) with an MRX720. I think they sound fine with movies. I don't listen to music in multichannel so can't comment there. Plus, for me, the added cost for ribbon heights versus the "ambient" sounds from the heights & my limited movie viewing didn't make alot of sense $$-wise. That said, no reason you couldn't use the Luna's as heights with a swivel mount (side to side & up/down) to adjust to suit.
    Last edited by racrawford65; 05-01-2021 at 03:45 AM.

I have a fairly extensive collection of multi-channel music, as well as Blu-Ray concerts. I will likely configure a mode for that type of material to a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. I must say that a well executed multi-channel experience can be quite engaging.

All that aside, I'm still wondering if the mismatch of a dome tweeter on the height speakers will present as much of a mismatch in their role as the NRTs did as surround speakers. To be fair, the NRTs sound fabulous in their own right, but while listening to multi-channel music that panned front to back the mismatch was obvious, the metallic sparkle that the ribbons reproduce is astonishing to me. I'm not sure the same issue would present itself in the course of a movie encoded with Atmos content, as I've no experience with the format, and the reason I'm seeking guidance in this regard.

I think the cost of the ribbon heights would not make sense should they not provide a noticeable difference, I do tend to be a bit on the OCD side when it comes to the sound system.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    I have a fairly extensive collection of multi-channel music, as well as Blu-Ray concerts. I will likely configure a mode for that type of material to a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. I must say that a well executed multi-channel experience can be quite engaging.

All that aside, I'm still wondering if the mismatch of a dome tweeter on the height speakers will present as much of a mismatch in their role as the NRTs did as surround speakers. To be fair, the NRTs sound fabulous in their own right, but while listening to multi-channel music that panned front to back the mismatch was obvious, the metallic sparkle that the ribbons reproduce is astonishing to me. I'm not sure the same issue would present itself in the course of a movie encoded with Atmos content, as I've no experience with the format, and the reason I'm seeking guidance in this regard.

I think the cost of the ribbon heights would not make sense should they not provide a noticeable difference, I do tend to be a bit on the OCD side when it comes to the sound system.

Jay
    I think HTM-200s are perfectly fine for Atmos heights along with ribbon mains and surrounds. Atmos makes my whole system sound more seamless. Even with non-Atmos movies it feels like sound effects travel right through the middle of the room.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I think HTM-200s are perfectly fine for Atmos heights along with ribbon mains and surrounds. Atmos makes my whole system sound more seamless. Even with non-Atmos movies it feels like sound effects travel right through the middle of the room.
    So let's say there is a scene where a glass dome shatters and the glass pieces rain to the ground and hit a concrete floor, would those sounds not pan from the heights to the floor? Would the transition from the heights to ground level be seamless?

I appreciate any and all input, maybe I'm overthinking this, when it comes to theater sound one can't be too careful LOL! Seriously, with the economy being what it is today, I need to be as practical as it's possible for me to be, probably not too high of a bar.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    So let's say there is a scene where a glass dome shatters and the glass pieces rain to the ground and hit a concrete floor, would those sounds not pan from the heights to the floor? Would the transition from the heights to ground level be seamless?

I appreciate any and all input, maybe I'm overthinking this, when it comes to theater sound one can't be too careful LOL! Seriously, with the economy being what it is today, I need to be as practical as it's possible for me to be, probably not too high of a bar.

Jay
    I don't think our hearing is as discerning either upwards or backwards, so I would say, no, I don't think you would notice a transition going from domes to ribbons. I'm using HTM-200s as my rear heights and Polk OWM3s as my front heights. My front three are Sierra-2EX and my surrounds are Luna's. Even the cheap Polks don't draw any attention to themselves...that I notice anyways. I'm just happy if the mixing guys put stuff for the heights to play. A Quiet Place was a good Atmos demo movie.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Those Emotiva's aren't that expensive, IMO...299/pair. A bit lower in efficiency, though, then I like.
    Didn't realize the price was for a pair! 🥴

No worries, MusicHead. I wish there was consistency in speaker list pricing - some are per pair, some are per speaker.

For me, the HTM200's work great for ATMOS (mounted high on wall) and blend quite well with my bed speakers (Towers with RAAL, Luna Duo Center, and S2 surrounds).

I spoke at length with Bernie at the "Audio Store" which is where the AVM was purchased. He, as many here have suggested, advised timbre matching the height speakers is pretty much unnecessary. He suggested that something with capable output (at least 6" woofers) would be helpful, I suppose in a large theater room played at reference, output could be a significant factor, although no one here has made mention of that.

I've still not settled on what to get, but I'm not locked in to RAAL tweeters at this point. Undoubtedly, an enclosed speaker will best suit my application where they will not be mounted in a drywall ceiling. The good part is that I can look at relatively inexpensive bookshelf type speakers.

Jay

https://www.svsound.com/products/pri...nt=26537028038

Anyone have any experience with the SVS speakers in the above link? At $250 a pop for the gloss white, these come with a wall mounting bracket, they look decent, and I love my SVS sub. Not crazy about an aluminum dome tweeter, I had some metal domes in my car quite a long time ago, they were very harsh.

Jay