Thread: Is this an upgrade?

Question Is this an upgrade?

I currently own a pair of Definitive Tech BP6B speakers. Would a pair of Ascend 340's be an upgrade? It is hard for me to believe (as much as I want to) that a pair of under $600 speakers would be an upgrade to another pair of $600 speakers. Does anyone have any experience with my Def Techs that could give me a comparison? I am considering going 340's across the front and moving the Def Tech's to the back as surround speakers.

My original plan was to go to bigger Def Tech's across the front and move the BP6B's to the back but I am trying to look around to find a "giant killer" solution. The Ascend's whole front three speakers would be less expensive than a single Def Tech speaker that I was considering.

Any input?

You might list where you are and see if anyone will let you audition their set-up. Def Techs with the bi-poles are very different sounding than the Ascends. This may be a case of your spending the money on shipping to try the Ascends out for yourself.

I think Craigsub may have experience with the Def Techs.
    Last edited by Quinn; 02-08-2005 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks Craigsub,

That is what I was hoping to hear. The Definitive setup you described was exactly what I had been considering.

Hey Craigsub....OT.....

I am going to Jack's this weekend(hopefully) to check out his HT-makeover and hear the results of having the "master" of subwoofers(you!) tweak his new one!

I really wanted to help out during the set up and meet you guys, but I'll just have to experience the net result. Can't wait!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables