Thread: Sierra Towers for mid-field listening

Default Sierra Towers for mid-field listening

Hi. I'm Paul and new to the forum.

Pondering aloud here. I am currently auditioning a pair of Sierra 2EX's. They're great but I'm craving a little more butter in the low mids as well as the more pronounced dynamics that floorstanders provide.

The question is: Are the Sierra Towers too much for my listening situation? I will be listening in the mid-field, 6-7 feet away from the speakers. There's conflicting advice on this out there in the interwebs. I've read a lot about floorstanders needing more distance from the listener for coherence purposes, but that's usually for the behemoth Klipsch's and JBL's, not the skinny floorstanders with smaller drivers live the Sierra's. Any thoughts?

Might be calling Dave on Monday to get his opinion if he doesn't see this.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by paulo70; 04-17-2021 at 07:50 AM.

Default Re: Sierra Towers for mid-field listening

One more thing.......The back wall is 8 feet away from the speakers.

Exclamation Re: Sierra Towers for mid-field listening

Quote Originally Posted by paulo70 View Post
    Hi. I'm Paul and new to the forum.

Pondering aloud here. I am currently auditioning a pair of Sierra 2EX's. They're great but I'm craving a little more butter in the low mids as well as the more pronounced dynamics that floorstanders provide.

The question is: Are the Sierra Towers too much for my listening situation? I will be listening in the mid-field, 6-7 feet away from the speakers. There's conflicting advice on this out there in the interwebs. I've read a lot about floorstanders needing more distance from the listener for coherence purposes, but that's usually for the behemoth Klipsch's and JBL's, not the skinny floorstanders with smaller drivers live the Sierra's. Any thoughts?

Might be calling Dave on Monday to get his opinion if he doesn't see this.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Hi Paul, and WELCOME to the AA Forum!!! Glad you're here...easier for us to discuss your situation!

IMHO, you're 12'X16' room should easily handle the Towers! However, implementing some decor/treatment changes could certainly go a long way in achieving the capabilities of the Sierra-2EX in meeting your criteria.

Many others here on the forum have experiences and similar setups that can make further comments!
    Dave follows the forum closely and if you'd post your sound room pic here (or e-mail it to him), he'd better understand the concerns you have with your room acoustics and can offer setup/change recommendations!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Hey Ted! Thanks for the welcome!

Here's the pic. Seriously thinking of ditching that entertainment center.Stereo-converted.pdf

Smile Re: Sierra Towers for mid-field listening

Quote Originally Posted by paulo70 View Post
    Here's the pic. Seriously thinking of ditching that entertainment center.Stereo-converted.pdf
    Paul,

Your studio/cottage listening room has -double carpet-...a plush W-to-W pile plus what appears to be a 2" thick Shag Remnant? I'm no acoustical/audio expert, but you might try removing the shag remnant to see if both imaging and low midrange presence improves?!? Again I might be wrong, but don't believe your entertainment center is an issue, as you do have the 2EX placed out well in front of the equipment.

Just my .02 cents...

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 04-17-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Paul,

Your REL T/5i has a -6db @32HZ rating. The 2EX has a room response of -3db @33 Hz (probably similar to the T/5i)! Is there any way (with your eq.) that you can HP 50 Hz to the 2EX instead of full range? That way, let the T/5i handle everything below and the 2EX handle everything above 50Hz? This may assist to solidify soundstage imaging and increase lower midrange tonality!??

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 04-17-2021 at 07:03 PM.

How are you integrating the sub? Some processor with EQ can be handy.