Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Sierra Towers (RAAL) vs Sierra 2 EX's as front L/R

Default Re: Sierra Towers (RAAL) vs Sierra 2 EX's as front L/R

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Hi elan120
    Not intimate with the circuitry of both so I’m hypothesing that the Rogue as a dedicated 2channel preamp is better than the mrx for music based on design. Tubes vs solid state may also contribute

Mostly vinyl. Although recently added a streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I don't think there is a factor for improved soundstage and imaging when it comes down to modern electronics. Any time I've seen claims like that tested (not sighted comparisons, they're notoriously inaccurate) those differences disappear with a properly set up dbt.

I'm mostly digital, tho I do have a tt.
    Thank you both for the inputs.

@racrawford65, I am speculating perhaps Rogue has a better phono stage? Tube could also be a major factor as well.

Do you use a separate DAC or build-in DAC from the streamer? I am 100% digital, wish I have more time to handle vinyl, so making digital to work well is my priority at the moment for this setup, although the integrated amp I am expecting, as you know, does seem to have a decent phono stage.

Quote Originally Posted by elan120 View Post
    Thank you both for the inputs.

@racrawford65, I am speculating perhaps Rogue has a better phono stage? Tube could also be a major factor as well.

Do you use a separate DAC or build-in DAC from the streamer? I am 100% digital, wish I have more time to handle vinyl, so making digital to work well is my priority at the moment for this setup, although the integrated amp I am expecting, as you know, does seem to have a decent phono stage.
    Tubes are an exception, I didn't see that part of it. Tubes do tend to impart different sonic qualities from one to another. My comments are in relation to solid state amps and receivers. I should have qualified that.

@pogre no worries on not noticing tubes. In general, I agree that solid state amps,avrs,etc shouldn’t dramatically impact what one hears unless the manufacturer did add a house sound. Before moving to Anthem, I was using Yamaha AVRs. To my ears, there was a sonic difference with the Anthem being neutral and the Yamaha a bit warmer

@elan120. Not the phono stage. I’m running a Manley Chinook with Amperex NOS tubes in all 4 slots. I’ve yet to try the Rogue’s phono stage. The Anthem doesn’t have an on-board phono.

I’m using the on-board dacs in my streamer. It’s then connected to the Rogue. I may also connect it to the MRX (next time I pull my entertainment center out). The streamer I purchased was a Cambridge Audio CXNv2 in black. Picked it up used for a nice discount over new (plus they don’t come in black anymore). I also considered the Bluesound Node

Quote Originally Posted by MDinno View Post
    So how about the Towers with the dome tweeter vs the 2EX? Haven't seen that one asked before.
    Was scrolling thru this thread, saw this question. Did not see response. I am curious also, as have Sierra NRT Towers and was wondering 2EX comparison to them?

I know the tower was vastly superior to my S1 NrTs....and the same can be said of the S2ex...but truthfully...I personally wouldn't trade my towers for the Ex...thou I am on the fence per se on what if any changes will be forthcoming when Dave diagnosis them using kippel.
    Last edited by billy p; 10-07-2021 at 11:03 AM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I know the tower was vastly superior to my S1 NrTs....and the same can be said of the S2ex...but truthfully...I personally wouldn't trade my towers for the Ex...thou I am on the fence per se on what if any changes will be forthcoming when Dave diagnosis them using kippel.
    You have NRT towers as well? I am waiting to see what comes as well. I figured even the NRT tower may have slight edge still over 2EX, except in bass response.

Yea...I just like the added dynamic range for home theater use...I use my multi EQ editor...app for some minor changes for music. I've waited this long to upgrade my towers...what's another few more month's...if due process is complete and potential changes arise.

Fingers crossed...
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by AR2ax man View Post
    Was scrolling thru this thread, saw this question. Did not see response. I am curious also, as have Sierra NRT Towers and was wondering 2EX comparison to them?
    There are a lot of variables to this and it really depends on what you are using the speakers for and your personal preferences.

For home theater, if you are looking for dynamics, volume and excitement - no question the dome towers are the better choice compared to the Sierra-2EX.

If you are a 2-channel music purist, this would be a tougher call to make depending on your most listened to music genres.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    There are a lot of variables to this and it really depends on what you are using the speakers for and your personal preferences.

For home theater, if you are looking for dynamics, volume and excitement - no question the dome towers are the better choice compared to the Sierra-2EX.

If you are a 2-channel music purist, this would be a tougher call to make depending on your most listened to music genres.
    Thanks for the response Dave! I am looking for purely 2-channel. Love my towers, but sometimes wish bass dug a bit deeper. Love the excitement and detail of them for movies and most music listening.

Thou sometimes for really long extended stereo listening periods looking for a little more relaxed sound. Why curious on the 2EX. My room is 20X14 and I like to play my towers loud and proud at times, not ear bleeding, but sometime get around 90 db. Sit around 10 feet away and speakers 8 feet wide apart.

Wonder if the 2EX could handle that? I have a parasound 2125 amp that would drive them. Listen to pretty much all music. But most listened in order is Country, Rock, Blues/Jazz, Alternative, and singer/song writer artists.

Quote Originally Posted by AR2ax man View Post
    Thanks for the response Dave! I am looking for purely 2-channel. Love my towers, but sometimes wish bass dug a bit deeper. Love the excitement and detail of them for movies and most music listening.

Thou sometimes for really long extended stereo listening periods looking for a little more relaxed sound. Why curious on the 2EX. My room is 20X14 and I like to play my towers loud and proud at times, not ear bleeding, but sometime get around 90 db. Sit around 10 feet away and speakers 8 feet wide apart.

Wonder if the 2EX could handle that? I have a parasound 2125 amp that would drive them. Listen to pretty much all music. But most listened in order is Country, Rock, Blues/Jazz, Alternative, and singer/song writer artists.
    Based on this info, I am thinking Sierra-2EX are perfect for you! They can easily handle a continuous 90dB at a 10 foot listening distance and your Parasound 2125 has more than enough power for this.

They do have a more relaxed sound compared to the dome towers and they don't lose any detail in that regard. Plus you have the benefit of wider horizontal dispersion which translates to a more spacious sound.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com