Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade existing Sierra-1s or get Sierra-2EXs instead?

Thumbs up Re: Upgrade existing Sierra-1s or get Sierra-2EXs instead?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Awesome news about your 170's!!

There are no component differences between Sierra-2EX assembled at our facility vs upgrading using the kits. I can't say they will be "identical" - because when we build them here they are put through a variety of tests prior to packaging and shipping that you would not be able to perform. However, provided you are meticulous during the upgrade procedure there shouldn't be any issues. We have had many hundreds of customers perform this upgrade.
    Thanks Dave. I'll be sending my upgrade order in soon. And thanks for such attention to detail and quality. My 170s are a testament to that for sure!

--Scott

Default Re: Upgrade existing Sierra-1s or get Sierra-2EXs instead?

The new 2-EX cabinets have magnetic grills.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    The new 2-EX cabinets have magnetic grills.
    Yes, but just in the "Domestic" Cabinet selections. The "Standard" Sierra-2EX Cabinet selections still have the pin/receiver grill attachments!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I finally got the Sierra 1 --> Sierra 2EX upgrade completed for my right/left pair. While I was at it I also upgraded my HT receiver from an Onkyo TX RZ820 to a Marantz SR6015. Holy cow!!!

I know there are lots of differing views on speaker break-in and I don't pretend to know much about it, but if these do in fact break-in over time I find it difficult to believe they can sound any better than they do now. Spent a late night listening to HD digital music and couldn't stop smiling!

Quote Originally Posted by Belows View Post
    I finally got the Sierra 1 --> Sierra 2EX upgrade completed for my right/left pair. While I was at it I also upgraded my HT receiver from an Onkyo TX RZ820 to a Marantz SR6015. Holy cow!!!

I know there are lots of differing views on speaker break-in and I don't pretend to know much about it, but if these do in fact break-in over time I find it difficult to believe they can sound any better than they do now. Spent a late night listening to HD digital music and couldn't stop smiling!
    Belows, Congrats on the Sierra transformation. 1's to the 2EX's should be HUGE!!

FWIW, with music only break-in (wide genre-normal listening levels), I did experience steady improvements on:

1. Definitive "bass response and tightness" after the 1st 2-10 hours
    2. Increased "soundstage openness and focus" at 25 hours
    3. Excellent "totally seamless blend" between the RAAL and EX between 100-150 hours

Actually on 6-13-21, I made some simple component set-up changes that has left me Stunned with the 2EX -top to bottom- Holographic Presentation...I should have done THIS many years ago!!

ENJOY Your Journey into Audio Nirvana!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by Belows View Post

I would like to see measured evidence that speaker "break in" of modern transducers occur over the course of short term use. I would imagine that somewhere along the way Dave has probably weighed in on this subject. I've heard the opinion expressed on more than one occasion that it is the human neural system adjusting to the new speakers rather than the transducers "loosening up", I surely can't state either to be fact.

Jay

Break-in of speaker drivers is real and can be measured.

It's also very small, likely only *barely* audible if at all, and happens quickly (seconds, not months).

A temperature difference in your house could also lead to measurable changes in driver characteristics, but nobody talks about how their system sounds better in winter/summer.

Moving the speaker - or your head - an inch or two probably makes a larger measurable difference.

The break-in that people report happening over months is purely psychological.

Post Re: Upgrade existing Sierra-1s or get Sierra-2EXs instead?

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    ...I've heard the opinion expressed on more than one occasion that it is the human neural system adjusting to the new speakers rather than the transducers "loosening up", I surely can't state either to be fact.
    Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    ...The break-in that people report happening over months is purely psychological.
    "Speaker" Break-In...or is it more like "Head" Break-In"!?!

IMHO, believe it's a little of both! During my 45 years of New speaker set purchases (5 to be exact), each had break-in sound change improvements (especially in the bass regions) that happened within a few hours to days, even weeks of playing music! Some changes were very subtle, others much more dramatic!

IF "what-I-heard" was strictly "in-my-head" (which it physically is), then I welcome that function of my psychological adaptation...it is what it is! Possibly, this explanation would lend itself to one becoming comfortable and accepting most-other-speaker design sounds during long term exposures. However, in my many years of listening sessions to many other designs (some dynamics, horns, electrostatics), my "hearing psyche" just will not adapt to their type of sound presentations.

Even with very close tolerances, I suspect mechanical transducers and even electrical X-over components have Some form of break-in time frames (albeit minor or major). Can one hear the differences/improvements/deterioration...depends on individual hearing and understanding of the details of the changes. Maybe a handicap, but I'm not a "show-me-the-measurement" audiophile, but rely on what my trained and experienced ears (and head) tell Me! FWIW, found a POST that supports both sides of this interesting topic!!

We all interpret sound in our own personal way...YMWV!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    "Speaker" Break-In...or is it more like "Head" Break-In"!?!

IMHO, believe it's a little of both! During my 45 years of New speaker set purchases (5 to be exact), each had break-in sound change improvements (especially in the bass regions) that happened within a few hours to days, even weeks of playing music! Some changes were very subtle, others much more dramatic!

IF "what-I-heard" was strictly "in-my-head" (which it physically is), then I welcome that function of my psychological adaptation...it is what it is! Possibly, this explanation would lend itself to one becoming comfortable and accepting most-other-speaker design sounds during long term exposures. However, in my many years of listening sessions to many other designs (some dynamics, horns, electrostatics), my "hearing psyche" just will not adapt to their type of sound presentations.

Even with very close tolerances, I suspect mechanical transducers and even electrical X-over components have Some form of break-in time frames (albeit minor or major). Can one hear the differences/improvements/deterioration...depends on individual hearing and understanding of the details of the changes. Maybe a handicap, but I'm not a "show-me-the-measurement" audiophile, but rely on what my trained and experienced ears (and head) tell Me! FWIW, found a POST that supports both sides of this interesting topic!!

We all interpret sound in our own personal way...YMWV!

Ted
    One of the things I most enjoy and appreciate about this forum is the adult participation here and an almost universal ability to discuss subjects in a rational, civilized manner. Almost gives one hope for Humanity! Obviously the people whom have realized the quality and value of Ascend products are pragmatic and realistic. At least that's my take.

Jay

second what Jay says.