Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Red face Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review-Times a Changing!!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Nice review, Ted.
    So tempted to order a pair but currently need to resist spending more money on A/V equipment as I recently picked up a Degritter (very impressed by this machine and how well it cleans vinyl) and ordered a SPEC AP-UD1 turntable "mat" from Japan which should be here next week.
    Thanks Robert,

This "Audio Hobby" seems never ending, huh!

Other than the Sierra-2EX acquisition, these Morrow Cables have made the most substantial sonic improvements in my current 2.1 stereo presentation for these past ten years!! Suffice to say, They REALLY show what the Sierra-2EX are capable of as True Studio Monitors!

As long as the CD player (30 years old) and the Pre/Power Amps (12 years old) continue to perform and not fall apart, I might dare upgrade to some of the Morrow Interconnect Cables for my analog components! With a 60-day Trial period and Lifetime guarantee, nothing to loose but a few more coins, huh!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review-Times a Changing!!

So true, Ted. It's only money and you can't take it with you!

Default Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    FWIW (imagine I'm sounding like a broken record...heck, I am a Stereo Audiophile ), but Hearing is Believing! I received the Morrow Audio SP4 speaker cables on 7/26 and have had them cooking with music 24/7 since (now over 400 hours of break-in). They Are the Keepers...sent back the Canares! The Morrows (to Me) are worth 5X the price (50%-sale) of the Canare S411 cables!!!

They take all of the positive sonic qualities of my previous cable usages (30 Yr 10Ga Monster Pros, 12 Ga OFC KnuKoncepts, Blue Jeans 11Ga Canare 4S11) and Step-Up the LIVE music reproduction presentation with Improvements in:

1. Soundstage depth (recording dependent) 10 to 20 feet deeper than any of the above speaker cables.
    2. Soundstage Pinpoint focus, with much greater air and separation of vocals, instrumentals, strings, keyboard and small ensembles.
    3. Venue accuracy, ambiance and spaciousness with tremendous width, depth and height.
    4. Balance of an extremely natural, open and live 3D Holographic presentation.
    5. Excellence in micro/macro dynamics.
    6. Extremely accurate timbres/tonalities/resolutions.
    7. Superb attack/sustained/decay articulations.
    8. Full Bandwidth precision and balance-Nothing is missing.
    9. Make my Highly-Resolving 2EX Sing with Very Musical, Realistic and Live-You-Are-There Presentations.
    10. Relaxed and Smooth Aura of Sound that allows for Hours of continuous non-fatiguing listening sessions.
    11. More Naturally Allows the music to become an effortless, immersive and engaging experience.
    12. Ease of system/speakers disappearing with only the Music to Enjoy!

Overall, I find myself toe-tapping and listening to every bar of music on each CD as I hear and feel what the musicians intended to impart in their creative art of music! Often, my mind is Blown, because What I See (my room and my components) versus What I Hear (Live Venue Performances) are in such stark contrast, the goose bumps, breath catching and sometimes tears just flow!!

Seems now, I can just enjoy and relish the emotional art my full musical library genre presents without any thought or interference from my “Stereo Setup” (With Thanks to Ascend Acoustics)!!!

Ted

Outstanding review, Ted,

I may have to try these when my speakers are delivered. The improments outlined in your review are attributes I also would like to get in my system.

Thanks for the link. Bookmarked.

Regards,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by elan120 View Post
    Outstanding review, Ted,

I may have to try these when my speakers are delivered. The improments outlined in your review are attributes I also would like to get in my system.

Regards,
    Kevin
    Beware that it is quite easy to 'hear' improvements when those improvements are expected. Try to do any listening tests blind. Have someone else switch them out and see if you can hear a difference.
    Nate

Thumbs up Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Beware that it is quite easy to 'hear' improvements when those improvements are expected. Try to do any listening tests blind. Have someone else switch them out and see if you can hear a difference.
    Nate,

Great point!

These past 2 months, my eldest son and I spent 3 weeks switching out 5 pairs of speaker cables (Monster Cable Pro- Monoprice Access - Knu Koncepts KL3 OFC - BJC Canare 4S11 Sonic Welded and Morrow Audio SP4). Using very familiar and specific genre cuts, we started out performing blind listening test and after many listening sessions, started comparing comments. We were within 90% agreement on audible changes, descriptions, positives and negatives. It was an arduous long task, but we always kept coming back to the Morrow Audio SP4 cables for their ease, precision, depth, focus and realism of holographic venue presentation and bandwidth timbre/resolution accuracy!!

Break-in timing (for cable sets to settle out and reach their best performances) were:

Monster - (about 35 years!-smooth, balanced but diffused soundstage)
    Mono - (100 hrs-Strident and flat presentation from the onset)
    Knu K - (300 Hrs-slowly improved, but would never open up soundstage depth-harsh highs and not dynamic)
    BJC C - (100 Hrs-for $$$, Very Good, but w/300+ hrs, would not yield a soundstage as deep as the Morrows)
    Morrow - (275 Hrs total-arrived with 10-days of burn-in from Morrrow=highs-mids-soundstage Came Superb...Bass took 24 hrs, then came in with the Thunder of Thor!)

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Nate,

Great point!

These past 2 months, my eldest son and I spent 3 weeks switching out 5 pairs of speaker cables (Monster Cable Pro- Monoprice Access - Knu Koncepts KL3 OFC - BJC Canare 4S11 Sonic Welded and Morrow Audio SP4). Using very familiar and specific genre cuts, we started out performing blind listening test and after many listening sessions, started comparing comments. We were within 90% agreement on audible changes, descriptions, positives and negatives. It was an arduous long task, but we always kept coming back to the Morrow Audio SP4 cables for their ease, precision, depth, focus and realism of holographic venue presentation and bandwidth timbre/resolution accuracy!!

Break-in timing (for cable sets to settle out and reach their best performances) were:

Monster - (about 35 years!-smooth, balanced but diffused soundstage)
    Mono - (100 hrs-Strident and flat presentation from the onset)
    Knu K - (300 Hrs-slowly improved, but would never open up soundstage depth-harsh highs and not dynamic)
    BJC C - (100 Hrs-for $$$, Very Good, but w/300+ hrs, would not yield a soundstage as deep as the Morrows)
    Morrow - (275 Hrs total-arrived with 10-days of burn-in from Morrrow=highs-mids-soundstage Came Superb...Bass took 24 hrs, then came in with the Thunder of Thor!)

Ted
    Good description, Ted,

Just curious, did you switch off the sub or kept it on during listening test?

Regards,
    Kevin

Outstanding review, Ted,

Regards,
    Kevin
    Agree, as well. I've also bookmarked the Morrow page. May have to give them a try sometime.

Good description, Ted,

Just curious, did you switch off the sub or kept it on during listening test?

Regards,
    Kevin
    Kevin,

Since we also wanted to determine the HP 50Hz response/blend of the S-2EX with the LP 50Hz response/blend of the sub while listening to the different speaker cables to the S-2EX, the sub was on 100% of the listening sessions!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 08-21-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Kevin,

Since we also wanted to determine the HP 50Hz response/blend of the S-2EX with the LP 50Hz response/blend of the sub while listening to the different speaker cables to the S-2EX, the sub was on 100% of the listening sessions!

Ted
    Thank you, Ted,

What was the deciding factors to try the SP4 instead of other ones? Meanwhile, based on the improvements from SP4, would you consider to move up to SP5 or SP6?

It will be another couple month before I can try different speaker cables, so just try to see what might be a good choice when I am ready.

Regards,
    Kevin

Exclamation Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Thank you, Ted,

What was the deciding factors to try the SP4 instead of other ones? Meanwhile, based on the improvements from SP4, would you consider to move up to SP5 or SP6?

It will be another couple month before I can try different speaker cables, so just try to see what might be a good choice when I am ready.

Regards,
    Kevin
    Kevin,

My original interest was peaked by positive on-line comments and these "Testimonials & Reviews" by owners On the Morrow Website, see HERE!!

As per my review (top of review page), Mike stated their SP4 speaker cables were the "sweet spot" in their diverse cable line up and a "best buy"...I agreed as they came in at the top of My current budget level!! Their 10-day burned-in service, a 60-day trial period and lifetime warranty were just Sweet Icing on the cake! I was prepared to just "test them out" and return them, but once I Heard the Sp4s in My System for a week or so, quickly decided "They Are Not Going Back" and for me, were worth the additional investment I made!!!

Thus, instead of stepping up to their much costlier speaker cables, decided when it all settles out I'll invest in their RCA interconnects (like the MA4 & the SUB4)!!

I really love their business model integrity, their website, their honest customer service approach and of course, their proven products (reminds me of Ascend Acoustics!)...hopefully, others will also discover what their cable designs have to offer in creating Audio Nirvana!

Hope this all helps,

Ted