Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Exclamation Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review-Times a Changing!!

Sierra-2EX...Progress moving forward!!

After my eldest did critical listening to the previous reviewed 2.1 setup (see 1st pic), he noted that the soundstage wasn't as deep and high as the previous S2-NrT listening sessions (I had to agree). The NrT's were tilted back 5 degrees, allowing expansion of the soundstage in my 11ft ceiling, creating a very nice sudo-venue openness and expansion!

However, instead of tilting the 2EX (due to narrower vertical expansion), decided to "finally" relocate the sub cabinet to the left front corner...had to re-tune the sub (LP Crossover to 60hz-Trim to full-Volume reset down to 5-oclock...was at 6-oclock). I dropped (set) the components onto a temporary "mini rack" (step stool-pic #2) and have a nice permanent 4-shelf audio rack on order!!

After all was tuned and complete, The New Sound...well, excuse my Italian, Ho.. Sh..!!! WOW! Sub Bass management has returned to my prior setup (was always happy with it), but the 8" lowering of the component stack has created even better focus, image precision, wider soundstage and a Huge Increase in venue depth and height. But more importantly, warmth/detailed/refined/natural Midrange is showing a Beautiful Renaissance! I am hearing details and low level nuances in all of my music that I never heard before...it is truly Amazing to me and a Very Surprising revelation!

All I can figure is that the component stack I had on top the subwoofer cabinet was causing 2nd reflections and cancellations that diluted the EX mid-woofer Midrange prowess capability?!? Although it was sounding great before the changes, the 2EX has taken a giant leap forward in realistic, live sound presentation that consistently leaves me short of breath and yearning/needing to re-hear my large music genre CD collection!!

Who'd a thunk it! Now to re-spin my 400+ CD's!!!!

Ted

Last edited by theophile; 06-15-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review-Times a Changing!!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Sierra-2EX...Progress moving forward!!

After my eldest did critical listening to the previous reviewed 2.1 setup (see 1st pick), he noted that the soundstage wasn't as deep and high as the previous S2-NrT listening sessions (I had to agree). The NrT's were tilted back 5 degrees, allowing expansion of the soundstage in my 11ft ceiling, creating a very nice sudo-venue openness and expansion!

However, instead of tilting the 2EX (due to narrower vertical expansion), decided to "finally" relocate the sub cabinet to the left front corner...had to re-tune the sub (LP Crossover to 60hz-Trim to full-Volume reset down to 5-oclock...was at 6-oclock). I dropped (set) the components onto a temporary "mini rack" (step stool-pic#2) and have a nice permanent 4-shelf audio rack on order!!

After all was tuned and complete, The New Sound...well, excuse my Italian, Ho.. Sh..!!! WOW! Sub Bass management has returned to my prior setup (was always happy with it), but the 8" lowering of the component stack has created even better focus, image precision, wider soundstage and a Huge Increase in venue depth and height. But more importantly, warmth/detailed/refined/natural Midrange is showing a Beautiful Renaissance! I am hearing details and low level nuances in all of my music that I never heard before...it is truly Amazing to me and a Very Surprising revelation!

All I can figure is that the component stack I had on top the subwoofer cabinet was causing 2nd reflections and cancellations that diluted the EX mid-woofer Midrange prowess capability?!? Although it was sounding great before the changes, the 2EX has taken a giant leap forward in realistic, live sound presentation that consistently leaves me short of breath and yearning/needing to re-hear my large music genre CD collection!!

Who'd a thunk it! Now to re-spin my 400+ CD's!!!!

Ted

Good deal! I had those WoodTech/MetalTech stands for my speakers...... 30" tall model, before getting my 26" tall Sanus steel foundation stands!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    Good deal! I had those WoodTech/MetalTech stands for my speakers...... 30" tall model, before getting my 26" tall Sanus steel foundation stands!
    Thanks Ed!

I ended up with a very simple but nice Monoprice Monolith 4-shelf audio rack...solid and very functional. However, the 23.5" shelf widths played havoc with the soundstage depth and height when set in-between the Sierra2-EX! I was able to stretch out the right 10ft speaker wire and set the new rack somewhat near the left wall (under my double french door windows). With nothing-but-air between the 2EX monitors, achieved Another WOW Moment!!!

Currently have new 12 gauge oxygen free copper wire on order and will terminate with my high-end banana plugs and get the new rack arrangement all the way against the left side wall. Once set-up is complete, will provide more comments on the overall sound changes and of course, obligatory new pics!

Ted

Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Here's my little stack..... Pangea Vulcan rack in carbon fiber.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Ted, is the rest of the room as barren as the pictures portray? If so, I am wondering what some first reflection point damping might do to even further the sound quality?

Jay

Here's my treated room!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Thumbs up Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review-Times a Changing!!

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Ted, is the rest of the room as barren as the pictures portray? If so, I am wondering what some first reflection point damping might do to even further the sound quality?

Jay
    Jay,

For the most part, Yes! My dedicated small 2-channel listening environment has presented some challenges. The room's left side (10ft L) has a glassed half-moon transom with doubled glass paneled false french doors. To the right are bi panel closet doors and the 32" entry way that oppose the french door exterior wall (see pics). The room's 9ft Width on one end host the monitors and sub, with the opposing 9ft wall housing the listening love seat. It is a 90sf/990cf music room with overall dimensions of 9'W x 10'L x 11'H...a little cramped, but does provide a wonderful quasi-near field presentation! Other than paintings [and the framed "1911 Conservatory of Lavenir, Paris, France- recognition letter for their Classical Pianoforte Course-Honors of completion to my Grandmother ], the equipment and listening 9ft walls are sheetrock finishes! As per this overall minimalistic room decor, surprisingly I have neither too live or too dead of room acoustics, exhibiting virtually no echo or reverb. Believe this overall contributes enough diffraction and absorption to enhance the "Huge Venue Presentations" found in my diverse library of music genre...just the way I like my room acoustics!

Last year, I experimented with four 2" X 2ft square GIK Acoustiscs-2A Alpha Diffusor/Absorber panels. After a full month and many hours of room placements and detailed listening sessions (trials on every wall surface and about every configuration I could come up with), I returned the panels. I simply could not Improve any facet of the soundstage presentation, nor any areas of the room's acoustics that I enjoyed in my sweet listening spot! As stated in post#23, setting the new component rack under the double french door/windows to the left exterior wall (zero eq. interference between the 2EX) appears to eliminate any damaging first reflections, creating what I believe will settle out to be the best my small intimate music room is capable of!

Now, just awaiting arrival of new longer speaker wire to finish the audio component rack relocation task!

Ted

Last edited by theophile; 06-22-2021 at 01:53 PM.

Here's my little stack..... Pangea Vulcan rack in carbon fiber.
    Here's my treated room!
    Ed,

I did look at the Pangea Vulcan 4-shelf audio rack (also in CF)...it is Very Nice! However, if I ever wanted to add a shelf to house a smaller sub behind each 2-EX stand (original plans that aren't in the trash just yet), I needed a shelf depth that was 3" less. In my situation, the Monolith meet this criteria!

YES, another Dedicated music room!

Bet the 2EX sound awesome there!!!

Ted

Ed,

I did look at the Pangea Vulcan 4-shelf audio rack (also in CF)...it is Very Nice! However, if I ever wanted to add a shelf to house a smaller sub behind each 2-EX stand (original plans that aren't in the trash just yet), I needed a shelf depth that was 3" less. In my situation, the Monolith meet this criteria!

YES, another Dedicated music room!

Bet the 2EX sound awesome there!!!

Ted
    Yes, they do sound awesome!

Sounds like you found the right rack for your application. I lucked out and bought the Pangea 2nd hand from a buddy who is always changing things in his system. Nearly bought a pair of mono block amps from him once.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

...Sounds like you found the right rack for your application. I lucked out and bought the Pangea 2nd hand from a buddy who is always changing things in his system. Nearly bought a pair of mono block amps from him once.
    Now, just awaiting arrival of new longer speaker wire to finish the audio component rack relocation task!

Ted
    Ed,

Yep, the Monolith component rack is working out nicely (see pics)!

Got in the new KnuKoncepts 12ga 100% OFC speaker Wire (50' Roll) and relocated the new rack to the left wall. Started with 2-25ft speaker wire lengths and got about 150 hrs break in time over the 1st week (music playing round-the-clock)! Switching out and comparing with my prior 35 yr old shorter (10ft) 12ga 100% OFC speaker cable (Monster Pro HR), the KK bass tightness-depth-tonality took 24 hours to blossom, however midrange took another 24 hrs to become sweet and lucid! Top end smoothness/trainsients to the RAALs didn't return until 100 hours of music break-in!! On Friday (150 hrs), I trimmed the 25ft lengths into 14ft (left 2EX) and 19ft (right 2EX) lengths.

At 200 hours, top to bottom bandwidth has matured Very Nicely, but the overall very precise and detailed soundstage is still somewhat collapsed, as compared to the well broken in 10ft Monster Pros!! The Monster cable creates a Huge Depth in Soundstage (like 15th row seats, with 30-50ft venue depth vs the KK at 3rd row seating with 15-20ft venue depth). The deeper soundstage Immediately draws me into the music emotionally with a very relaxed sensation of being in the venue (Live, immersed in the music), whereas the shallower soundstage initially sounds very impressive with a slight edge of more detail and resolution, but at the expense of becoming emotionally uninvolved with the performance (Sterile and detached)!! Given more playing time, we'll "hear" if the KK cables can come around!

FWIW, I've ordered some high-end speaker cables (SP4) from Morrow Audio to try! Hopefully they can meet (or even surpass) the musical performance of my old "tried but true" too-short MC cables!?! With a 60 day return policy, again will have the opportunity to really "Hear" if differences are worth the investment $$$!

Ted

Last edited by theophile; 07-04-2021 at 04:26 PM.