Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Exclamation Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Wonderful review and thank you! So pleased that you are enjoying the Sierra-2EX!!
    Thank You, Dave, for offering audiophiles a monitor that has such precision in recorded medium playback as to allow music to effortlessly flow to the heart...Bravo!!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Default Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Ha!

LOL!
    Audio purchases are on hold until my GF and I settle on and buy a house.

That said, I’m very interested in the new Anthems. I really enjoy my AVM 60. For the new Anthems I’m interested in how Roon will be implemented.
    I'm interested in the new Anthems, as well. Perhaps the AVM70 to go fully separate or move to the MRX740. Don't need 15 channels. Not as concerned about music since I am picking up a separate preamp for 2 channel. Using the 740, I can power my center, two surrounds, and 4 ATMOS heights and eliminate one amp (currently using the 720 to power center and 2 surrounds and a separate 4 channel for ATMOS). Really like the looks of the new Anthems. But not pulling the trigger anytime soon - upgrading my tonearm first and then will wait until Anthem works out the bugs with Genesis and adds the new HDMI board before considering this upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlucci View Post
    Nice review Ted! I debated between upgrading my existing Sierra1's, buying a fresh set of Sierra2ex's and the Towers - I ended up choosing the Towers only because my listening area is pretty large. I will say that I am extremely happy that I got the RAAL upgrade - those tweeters are magical. Your system looks great - love the pics....Jim
    Hi Jim,

Your review of the RAAL-Towers was wonderful. Believe for your 3200cf listening room, you made a perfect choice! I've no doubt Dave's Towers would be extremely competitive with Any in the marketplace today, at Any price!

For my 990cf listening room, can't imagine Any 1cf Monitor made that would sound better!!!

IMHO, Ascend Acoustics=Best speaker value on the Planet!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Wink Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    ...Makes me wonder if I could use my Rythmik's as a "shelf", if needed. At least for solid state gear - I'd be hesitant to put my tube stuff on top of one of the subs.
    Robert,

Bet with the solid cabinet construction of the Rythmik Subs, probably be safe to use the top as a shelf for even tube electronics. If not, maybe a product like These would guarantee acoustic vibration isolation!

Ted

thanks, Ted. I was able to reorganize my equipment in current entertainment center so no need to use either Rythmik as a shelf.

I've never used any Herbie's products for isolation. I've been using Symposium stuff for several years - was really sold when I put a Segue ISO under my TT and it eliminated all feedback.

Very nice review, with your credentials I can't think of a more worthy recommendation. Your descriptions put into words exactly what I hear and what I feel when I listen to my EXs which I have in a dedicated stereo bedroom system. I have no pipe organ music, I really can't see the reason to complicate this particular configuration with a sub, and I truly love and appreciate low bass. Again, awesome review, well said!

Jay

Cool Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Very nice review, with your credentials I can't think of a more worthy recommendation. Your descriptions put into words exactly what I hear and what I feel when I listen to my EXs which I have in a dedicated stereo bedroom system. I have no pipe organ music, I really can't see the reason to complicate this particular configuration with a sub, and I truly love and appreciate low bass. Again, awesome review, well said!

Jay
    Thanks Jay, appreciate your nice comments!

Yep, the Sierra-2EX Are Very Special!! However FWIW, adding a sub provided me with three big advantages:

1. Solid 18Hz performance that gives depth, realism and venue ambiance to most acoustical genre.
    2. Expands Midrange clarity due to 6" bass driver relieved from full range reproduction.
    3. Greatly increases the Main Power amp headroom (with a >50Hz high pass to the 2EX), thus increased dynamic peaks for all music genre.

IMHO, the audible advantages of a well-integrated musical sub with a 2-way stand-mount monitor is Very Noticeable and Appreciated! Thus, with the Sierra-2EX I first experimented with "full range" (no sub). They simply are amazing as they do provide room energizing sound without breaking a sweat and can easily handle dynamic peaks with finesse and grace! They certainly outperform Anything I've heard these past 45 years (as an audiophile with a music degree) in their price range!!

That said, I then incorporated the 12" 500W Axiom powered sub into the mix. I began at the 80Hz high/low pass settings, but eventually settled on a high pass/low pass of 50Hz. This gave me the best integration, seamless hand-off and low bass tonality, as I took full advantage of the 2EX Seas 6" Curvy woofer/mid-bass prowess and speed! I've greatly increased clean, dynamic, effortless peaks in all my music listening, midrange clarity and definition has certainly expanded. Soundstage has opened up and become even better defined and an energized room of 18Hz to 28KHz wall-of-sound allows the speakers to Totally Disappear and immerse my listening experience with all genre of live, realistic Soul Filling Recorded Music!!!

Love the 2EX full range...I do, but a properly integrated sub can bring some nice additional surprises!!

Ted

I am in complete agreement on using a properly integrated sub(s) with any system.
    -curtis

Ted, you've not written a single thing in this thread I disagree with. I have three different systems with AA speakers, a theater system, a system in a good sized shop building, and a bedroom system. Two of the three have SVS ultras doing exactly as you describe. Maybe down the road I might add a sub to the dedicated stereo system, but it sure ain't a slouch as is!

Jay

Exclamation Re: AA Sierra-2EX Monitor Review

Quote Originally Posted by petmotel View Post
    Ted, you've not written a single thing in this thread I disagree with. I have three different systems with AA speakers, a theater system, a system in a good sized shop building, and a bedroom system. Two of the three have SVS ultras doing exactly as you describe. Maybe down the road I might add a sub to the dedicated stereo system, but it sure ain't a slouch as is!

Jay
    Thanks Jay...Sounds like you have All your spaces Nicely Covered!

Bet a Rythmik L12 would work perfectly with your S-2EX...might have to try "2" for a 2.2 music room myself!!

FWIW, your 2-04-20 Sierra-2EX review inspired me to get my 2EX in March (the sale also had a little to do with that)...Thanks for your detailed and wonderful write up!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 05-18-2021 at 11:56 AM.