Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sierra Ribbon Towers and Treble

Default Re: Sierra Ribbon Towers and Treble

And using the 90 degree calibration file?

Quote Originally Posted by mikesiskav View Post
    And using the 90 degree calibration file?
    Yup. Why do you ask?

Just checking. Not using the 90 degree cal file would cause the high frequencies to look rolled off in the measurement.

Gotcha. Almost all of my tweaking thus far has been from 120 hz and down. I'm just now getting into the full range measurements. I've seen the Harman chart before but never paid much attention to it because I was primarily focused on bass. So... I'm here to learn. I'm happy that Dave is impressed with my results because I really do put a lot of effort into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    What's your take on the "Final" graph? Too flat?? I prefer it over direct. Oh, I do bump the bass up just a couple dB too when I finish measuring.
    You are very welcome!

As far as being "too flat" for the final in-room response, my opinion doesn't matter, all that matters is what sounds best to your ears. The Harman crowd will certainly say that it is too flat - but there are a lot of variables to this and if this sounds best to you, stick with it
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    You are very welcome!

As far as being "too flat" for the final in-room response, my opinion doesn't matter, all that matters is what sounds best to your ears. The Harman crowd will certainly say that it is too flat - but there are a lot of variables to this and if this sounds best to you, stick with it
    I wonder if what's making it sound flat to me in the direct setting is that dip at 10 kHz? It's fairly wide. I'm assuming it is a reflection, and Audyssey does "correct" for it. I don't necessarily think any boost applied above that is what I'm hearing that makes it sound "better" to me. I'm 51 years old and did abuse my hearing when I was younger. I'd be surprised if I can hear much above 12-14 kHz, but a dip at 10 kHz I think would be noticeable to me. Would the bump at 800 hz be stepping on or masking some of the higher frequencies as well?

I've been considering looking into room treatments, but boy there are a lot of factors and more ways to go wrong than right. I know it's gonna take some serious homework, and I'd consult an acoustician before just randomly putting panels up all over the place. I've read about folks over doing it and deaden the room to the point it sounds like ass. I know some reflections are needed.

I am happy with what I have now tho, so I'm still debating on whether or not it's even worth it. It's nice when you can realize improvements, but it's easy to get sucked into chasing the "perfect" response and lose sight of just enjoying your music. Not just Dave, but have any of you guys done room treatments? How did it turn out?

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    I wonder if what's making it sound flat to me in the direct setting is that dip at 10 kHz? It's fairly wide. I'm assuming it is a reflection, and Audyssey does "correct" for it. I don't necessarily think any boost applied above that is what I'm hearing that makes it sound "better" to me. I'm 51 years old and did abuse my hearing when I was younger. I'd be surprised if I can hear much above 12-14 kHz, but a dip at 10 kHz I think would be noticeable to me. Would the bump at 800 hz be stepping on or masking some of the higher frequencies as well?
    That dip at 10kHz is only about -3dB relative to the frequency range above and below it. As good as your ears may be, I am not even sure a young child could hear a -3dB difference at that frequency range. I doubt that is what you are hearing.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com