Thread: CBM170 SE Woofer Issue

Default CBM170 SE Woofer Issue

Hello, I am noticing one of my CBM’s has much more woofer movement than the other on medium and higher volume. I have only noticed with vinyl. Just played another source and it seems fine. What could be the cause? I just threw this set up together yesterday , cheap Optimus receiver and Audio Technica LP60 turn table.

Default Re: CBM170 SE Woofer Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Highlife View Post
    Hello, I am noticing one of my CBM’s has much more woofer movement than the other on medium and higher volume. I have only noticed with vinyl. Just played another source and it seems fine. What could be the cause? I just threw this set up together yesterday , cheap Optimus receiver and Audio Technica LP60 turn table.
    HL,

Is uneven woofer movement found on just one album (in the recording) or several albums (clean cartridge stylus)???

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

The uneven movement is on any album, well the two I played anyway. It only appeared when the volume was turned up a bit to get the woofers moving.

Which speaker has more movement (left or right)? Could be a cartridge set up issue (too much or too little antiskate, azimuth not correct, etc.) or, as mentioned by Ted, the way the album is cut.

For reference, the left channel is the inner groove (spindle side), right is outer groove (record edge side).
    If left side is pumping more, perhaps too much a/s. If right side, too little.

Also, you can try swapping the L/R inter connects and see if the excess woofer movement switches sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlife View Post
    This is known as wow, a common type of distortion from vinyl. Could be your cartridge, TT speed, or the vinyl itself.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com