Thread: How Would You Do Dolby Atmos in this Room? Is It Worth It?

Default How Would You Do Dolby Atmos in this Room? Is It Worth It?

My current 5.1 is in an open living room in my townhouse. The entire setup occupies a 9-foot wide by 12-foot deep area. I have three Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE as my Fronts and two Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 as my surrounds. I have been curious about going to Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 but I am not sure how to do it with the way the room is laid out. What about putting some HTM-200 much higher up on the back wall and have them angled down for Dolby Atmos Height speakers?

Default Re: How Would You Do Dolby Atmos in this Room? Is It Worth It?

I'd try to pull the couch away from the window a little bit and get your surrounds aimed towards the center of the couch, or at least angled 45 degrees towards the middle of the room. The right surround looks like it could be placed a little farther away from the center of the couch as well. Regarding Atmos speakers in the rear height position...I think it's a good idea. I'd mount them as close to the ceiling as possible and angle them almost straight down. That's similar to what I'm doing in my room but my couch is farther from the back wall. You'll want them closer together than your surrounds, which is why I'd recommend spreading the surrounds out as much as you can. I also have small speakers mounted on the ceiling halfway between my listening position and the front wall. I tried many other positions along the tops of the front walls and on the side walls but the only place I was really happy with them was on the ceiling. The Polks OWM3s are small enough that they can be mounted with just a couple of screws into the sheetrock. I used masking tape to hide the wires and painted over it. I feel like my settup is well worth it both for Dolby Atmos recorded movies and music as well as the excellent newer Dolby Surround setting that will use all of your speakers for 2-5 channel sources-3345905586560332263.jpg
    Nate

I agree with natetg57 on the surrounds - I'd rotate the right one (looking towards rear/sofa) 45% so it's pointed towards the middle of the room or mount it a bit higher, on the side wall, using a swivel mount, and still pointed towards the middle of the room. I'd also probably put the left one on the outside of the subwoofer, again pointed towards the middle of the room or, if possible, on a swivel mount on the left side wall (can't tell from pics).

As to Atmos, the effect is much better if you can do front and rear heights. Like Nate suggested, mount them high on the front and back walls. That's how I did my Atmos speakers, except mine aren't angled down as aggressively as Nate's (although I may try that in the near future when I reorganize my rack -- waiting on some new gear). I'm using HTM200's for Atmos, fwiw.

Nate, How the hell do you guys mount those on the ceiling and run the wire across the ceiling and down the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnett View Post
    Nate, How the hell do you guys mount those on the ceiling and run the wire across the ceiling and down the wall?
    For the rear heights, I conveniently have a large window with curtains that covers the entire area below the speakers. I just run the wires along the tops and sides of the window frame. I'm using these mounts, but they aren't available from this seller anymore..https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Nate