Thread: Integrated Amp Suggestion For 2.1 Music

Default Integrated Amp Suggestion For 2.1 Music

Hello, long time Ascend owner here, looking for reco for an integrated amp. I currently have a pair of CBM 170SE's that I am going to use for a 2.1 system for music only. The sub is a SVS SB12 NSD, is sealed and should match well to the 170's. I want an amp that can connect with multiple sources, including turntable, Blu Ray and bluetooth. So far I have narrowed it down to the Emotiva TA-100 or the IOTAVX SA3.

Does anyone have experience with either of these amps and CBM 170's? Also, I need to consider the possibility of upgrading to Sierra's, probably the 2EX at some point. So, the amp needs to be a good match for those as well.

Appreciate any insight!
    Last edited by Highlife; 02-28-2021 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Wrong item description

Default Re: Integrated Amp Suggestion For 2.1 Music

I ordered a b stock SA3 and it arrived DOA on one channel, had the wrong power cord, and the box was beat up bad, not even double boxed shipped all the way from the UK. I sent it back and they refunded my money. I was pretty disappointed as I have heard and read good things about them, but I have to say I was not impressed with what I received at all. The power cord had the wrong connector at the receiver end so it really made me question whether they even checked it out. I had an extra, so I was good, it was just poor service IMO. I was hesitant to go with them anyway, and that did it for me.

I was also looking at the TA100, but in the end I went with the Outlaw RR2160 MKII, and I absolutely love it. It was approx double the cost of the SA3, but I have zero regrets. I am using it with a pair of 340's and it really sounds good. I have not hooked up my 170's to it, so cannot give you any feedback there. I am also considering going with some Sierra 2's or 2EX's. I've had the 340's for about 15 years so it may be time for something new!

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by GeddyFan; 02-28-2021 at 06:30 PM.

The Outlaw RR2160 looks like a very good piece of equipment. The Emotiva doesn't look bad, either, but the BasX is their entry level line. One thing about the Outlaw is that it has double the power (110 wpc) of the Emotiva or IOTA.

I have also looked at the Outlaw RR2160. Looks like a great Amp with everything I would want except BT, which I could add on later. At the 1K price point for the Outlaw, the Sierra 2's would not be possible. However, I know the Outlaw could drive the Magnepan LRS, which I hope to audition soon and the price is right.

I put together the TA-100 with the 170s for my daughter a year or so ago. A very complimentary kit for the price. It sounds very good even without a sub. Bear in mind there is no bass management in the TA-100. Also you will need the Bluetooth dongle (the $49 one will only work with Emotiva). If you feel you need more than 50W you can add another amp via the pre-outs. Or you can go with the PT-100 and add the amp of your choice. The Emotiva does offer some nice features for the price though the menu can be a little tough to navigate at first.

Parasound Hint 6, but for that price I would probably just go for Parasound separates and the P6 and A23+.