Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX Amp help

Default Re: Sierra 2EX Amp help

Quote Originally Posted by blvdnights View Post
    Hi Choirbass, thanks for your response - so would you agree that 75w wouldn't be enough to drive the Sierras to their loudest/full potential? I would've thought there would be a cutoff point where anything above would be pointless/waste of money.
    It isn't about driving the speakers to their loudest possible potential, that is never a good idea as you risk clipping your amp and damaging the speakers, or even overdriving the speakers. It is about the loudest volume you will listen at in combination with your listening distance. Louder does not equal better sound quality, the performance of the speakers does not change whether you are throwing 1 watt at them or 100 watts.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi racrawford65,

Thanks for the info on the tubes. I'm looking at class AB (or G with the Arcam) integrated amps at this stage

I'm sitting roughly 12ft away and want to know that I can turn it up as loud as the speakers and my ears can handle.

I don't want to settle for a 75w amp if it is going to restrict the speakers capabilities.

Dave from Ascend here recommended minimum 45w for the Sierra 2EX. So I guess I'm a little confused as to why 15w at 10ft for 85db will work according to the online calculator, but the minimum recommended watts is 45, particularly when up to 85db is considered optimum listening levels.

When I initially spoke with Dave prior to purchasing the speakers - I was tossing up between the Hegel h95 and the h120 (60w vs 75w) and Dave recommended the H120.
    No worries. Just wanted to clarify that tube amps aren't all warm sounding.

FYI, many are also class A/B. If you're interested in trying tubes, look at Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III (or check usaudiomart or audiogon for a used Cronus Magnum II). Class A/B, 100 wpc, integrated amp that is highly regarded/reviewed. Made in USA and excellent customer service. Easy to bias.

Just checked usaudiomart...there's actually a nearly new Cronus Magnum III for sale for 2200.

PrimaLuna is also a pretty good brand, from what I've read. Made in the far east, I believe.

I apologize for my lack of understanding. I did try to read up before bothering you all but there's some contradicting info around which had me confused - like the complete nonsense info in my earlier post that I referenced.

I realise louder does not equal better sound quality, nor do I want to break or stress anything - I can hear any issues before a speaker or amp gets to that point.

Now knowing the performance of the speaker does not change with 1 or 100 watts, and it's just about distance vs db is great info. Thank you.

I apologize for my lack of understanding. I did try to read up before bothering you all but there's some contradicting info around which had me confused - like the complete nonsense info in my earlier post that I referenced.

I realise louder does not equal better sound quality, nor do I want to break or stress anything - I can hear any issues before a speaker or amp gets to that point.

Now knowing the performance of the speaker does not change with 1 or 100 watts, and it's just about distance vs db is great info. Thank you.
    No worries, it can often be extremely confusing.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    No worries, it can often be extremely confusing.
    ++1

This SPL Calculator isn't going to be accurate for all speakers, but will give you an idea of the relationship between distance, power and volume. Plus it's just fun to play with.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

How is speaker sensitivity measured or calculated (specifically how does Ascend do it)? I’m curious how the integration of a subwoofer affects either speaker sensitivity or power handling and if the ratings Ascend publishes would be different if running the speakers full range vs crossed over with a sub.

Since the speaker isn’t tasked with playing the lowest frequencies, does that increase the speaker sensitivity rating if it was calculated as an average over a range?

Or if the speaker is rated for 150W continuous power, would it be able to play louder with that 150W since the 150W is going to 100hz-20kHz instead of 40hz-20kHz?

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    How is speaker sensitivity measured or calculated (specifically how does Ascend do it)? I’m curious how the integration of a subwoofer affects either speaker sensitivity or power handling and if the ratings Ascend publishes would be different if running the speakers full range vs crossed over with a sub.
    We calculate our anechoic sensitivity using industry standard specifications. Mic positioned at 1 meter, measure anechoic on-axis frequency response using an input of 2.83v. Sensitivity is then calculated based on the average SPL from 300Hz to 3kHz.

The sensitivity rating of a speaker is fixed, it does not vary based on equipment used or adding / removing a subwoofer.

Or if the speaker is rated for 150W continuous power, would it be able to play louder with that 150W since the 150W is going to 100hz-20kHz instead of 40hz-20kHz?
    Power handling for a speaker is usually determined based on the rated bandwidth of a speaker. For example, take a small satellite speaker that is rated to handle up to 100 watts. If you were to hit that speaker with a 100 watt 20Hz signal, that speaker is going to be destroyed.

In most cases, by removing deeper bass frequencies, the speaker will be able to handle more power. Handling more power does not affect sensitivity and it also does not necessarily mean the speaker will play louder. Most speakers will reach their thermal / mechanical limits and start to compress well before the rated maximum power handling. There are simply too many variables involved to provide a definitive answer.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, this was very helpful

I've just upgraded from sierra 1 to 2ex. I've used them with a Perreaux 80i. Power Node 2i and now have a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP tube integrated. The Primaluna is by far the best sounding with both Sierras imo. It truly sings. I run it in SET mode (45w) but there's an Ultralinear mode too with higher output. SET is more the enough for me and sounds the best to these ears. I wouldn't class the Primaluna as warm at all it's got a very detailed clear top end to these ears.