Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX Amp help

Default Sierra 2EX Amp help

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my amp to drive my Sierra 2EX's. Currently have a powernode 2.

I have my eye on a few integrated 75w amps - Hegel H120, Musical Fidelity M3si, Perreaux Audient 80i etc

Am I going to benefit from going a more powerful model? ie 150w - will I get more bass/better quality of sound at lower volumes?

Most of my listening is at lower levels but do want to crank it up every now and then.

Thank you
    Rory

Default Re: Sierra 2EX Amp help

Having more watts will give you more headroom. You can never have too powerful of an amp, but be sure not to go to ear bleeding volume levels. I don’t think bass will improve any, nor will the quality of sound improve, but itll allow you the freedom to play louder.

As far as quality of sound, the type of amp will have a greater impact. Tube amps give a warmer sound for example. I can’t recommend them enough, but mono block amps are a sure way to improve sound quality for the front channels due to the lack of shared amp components between channels such as the power supply and transformer. You need 1 mono block amp per channel. In your case you would need 2 mono block amps.
    Last edited by choirbass; 02-16-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Tube amps may give a warmer sound - depends on the design and which tubes are installed. For example, my Rogue Atlas is neutral with the stock tubes (and Genalex which I now have installed). Rolling in Mullard's or Brimar's to the 12AX7s will warm the sound whereas rolling in Telefunken's enhance detail/accuracy.

Hi Choirbass, thanks for your response - so would you agree that 75w wouldn't be enough to drive the Sierras to their loudest/full potential? I would've thought there would be a cutoff point where anything above would be pointless/waste of money.

How far back are you sitting and how loud do you want to listen?

At reasonable distances and volume, you don't need that much wattage. EG, roughly 15 watts at 10 feet to hit 85 db (including 3 db amp headroom) per an on-line calculator.

Hi racrawford65,

Thanks for the info on the tubes. I'm looking at class AB (or G with the Arcam) integrated amps at this stage

I'm sitting roughly 12ft away and want to know that I can turn it up as loud as the speakers and my ears can handle.

I don't want to settle for a 75w amp if it is going to restrict the speakers capabilities.

Dave from Ascend here recommended minimum 45w for the Sierra 2EX. So I guess I'm a little confused as to why 15w at 10ft for 85db will work according to the online calculator, but the minimum recommended watts is 45, particularly when up to 85db is considered optimum listening levels.

When I initially spoke with Dave prior to purchasing the speakers - I was tossing up between the Hegel h95 and the h120 (60w vs 75w) and Dave recommended the H120.
    Last edited by blvdnights; 02-17-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blvdnights View Post
    ... When I initially spoke with Dave prior to purchasing the speakers - I was tossing up between the Hegel h95 and the h120 (60w vs 75w) and Dave recommended the H120.
    That's only a difference of 2 dB. Not much.

I found this on an audiocircle forum.

"Here are some efficiency ratings and my Nwattage suggestions:
    85-87db speakers: 100 watts per channel"

So anything amp above 100w per channel is pointless?

And then I found this:

"Generally you should pick an amplifier that can deliver power equal to twice the speaker’s program/continuous power rating. This means that a speaker with a “nominal impedance” of 8 ohms and a program rating of 350 watts will require an amplifier that can produce 700 watts into an 8 ohm load. For a stereo pair of speakers, the amplifier should be rated at 700 watts per channel into 8 ohms."

So based on that for the sierras 150w continuous power, I need a 300w per channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by blvdnights View Post
    And then I found this:

"Generally you should pick an amplifier that can deliver power equal to twice the speaker’s program/continuous power rating. This means that a speaker with a “nominal impedance” of 8 ohms and a program rating of 350 watts will require an amplifier that can produce 700 watts into an 8 ohm load. For a stereo pair of speakers, the amplifier should be rated at 700 watts per channel into 8 ohms."

So based on that for the sierras 150w continuous power, I need a 300w per channel amp
    That is complete nonsense.

To determine how much power you need, first determine how loud you actually like to listen at when you are seated in your listening position. I generally recommend enough power to reach overall peaks of 96dB (which is quite loud). At your listening distance of 10 feet, to reach this level cleanly with Sierra-2EX speakers, you will need an amp with a power rating of at least 60 watts RMS. More power will allow you to play louder, I suggested the H120 over the H95 to give you a tad bit more headroom.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com