Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra Tower external amp recommendations

Default Sierra Tower external amp recommendations

Currently running the Sierra Tower 2 NRT (w/ Horizon Center on the way), powered by Denon x4500.

Interested in adding an external amp, but just wondering if it will make a noticeable difference. The x4500 should be pushing 125w, and I've heard 150w is recommended.

Was looking at the Emotiva XPA-3, just not sure it's worth the cost. Would love to pick up an amp to try it out, but haven't had any luck with any shops in the NJ/NY area.

Any advice or recommendations welcome.

Default Re: Sierra Tower external amp recommendations

If only 2 channels (or to be 3 channels once you get the Horizon), I think you'll be fine with the Denon amps.

Don't Emotiva have a trial period? You could always pick it up, try it, and if don't hear a difference, return it. All you are likely out is return shipping and some time.

There's nothing magic about 150wpc for the Towers. Heck, if you're hitting the volume level you want, there's nothing wrong with 50wpc or even 25wpc for the Towers.

So, unless the Denon does not allow you to play as loud as you are trying to, there's not much reason to add more power. However, if you cannot hit the volume levels you want, then you should absolutely throw more wattage at the problem. The XPA-3 should do the job nicely, as it'll put you right near the maximum power handling for the Tower. If you can't play loud enough with that amp, you basically can't play loud enough with the Towers at all.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

My speakers get plenty loud now, I've just read so much about warm sound and headroom with an external amp that I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on some obvious magic.

I somehow missed reading about the Emotiva 30 day trial period, I had only read about a 25% restocking fee on return. I might try this out, but will probably hold tight given the advice above.

I doubt you would get any warmth from emotiva amps. How about some American made gear like van asltine or schiit audio.
    One thing is true that emotiva is hard to beat in terms of wattage per dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoJoa View Post
    I doubt you would get any warmth from emotiva amps. How about some American made gear like van asltine or schiit audio.
    One thing is true that emotiva is hard to beat in terms of wattage per dollar.
    ^^This!

I'm running a Van Alstine Vision SET 120 amp and love it. It's their entry level amp but it's performance is anything but entry level. Running Sierra-2EX's they get plenty loud and dynamic. Also just added a Schiit Audio Bifrost 2 DAC. The system sounds amazing and it is close to 100% American made!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Ed,
    Any idea if the Bifrost 2 would be an audible/worthy upgrade to my 4 yr old Bifrost USB with Sierra towers and separates? Thanks.

Steve

I accidentally deleted my post but how about mono block amps for the front 3 channels? You’d get channel isolation because the 3 channels aren’t sharing amp parts such as the transformer power supply and power cord among others, and crosstalk wouldn’t be an issue.

At the very least a mono block amp for the center channel should be used since you already have stereo covered. You’d also be able to make comparisons between a mono block amp and your current amp.

Mono blocks don’t have to be expensive either. I picked out the 2 Emotiva mono block amps I have for $300 each. 140 watts each. No longer for sale tho.
    Last edited by choirbass; 02-16-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shinny View Post
    Ed,
    Any idea if the Bifrost 2 would be an audible/worthy upgrade to my 4 yr old Bifrost USB with Sierra towers and separates? Thanks.

Steve
    Steve,

This is my first Schiit product so I cannot give an informed opinion between the 1st and 2nd gen versions. I can only say that from what I've read and heard from reviews is that the 2 is a nice upgrade over the old one. I'm using the new Unison USB connection and so far it sounds awesome!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I'm using a Monolith 7 with a SR6011 as a pre and to power my surround channels. It gets plenty loud for my tastes. Any more and I'd be deaf. Well, I have enough right now to go deaf, lol. The 4500 should be more than enough for most usages. I think the main advantage would be a cooler running avr. I would not expect any difference in sound qualty.