Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Repurpose Sierra 2 Seas Curv woofers after EX Upgrade?

Default Re: Repurpose Sierra 2 Seas Curv woofers after EX Upgrade?

If you really want it, you can get a set of raal tweeters 64-10 that Dave uses and build your own enclosure with a bit creativity, but im not sure those tweters are available for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Still a bit of a PITA, but think what you are suggesting is selling a Sierra 2-minus (S2 w/o woofer) for those that have upgraded their S2's to S2EX. Although I wonder why anyone would do that if they've upgraded to the EX anyways. Just to make use of an old woofer? Not worth the time/effort, IMO.
    Not quite. I was suggesting a new speaker that’s basically a bigger version of the Duo LCR. That one is basically a Luna with two of the Luna sized curv drivers. People who upgrade their 2’s to EX’s will have two of the 6” curv drivers left over. If a bigger “Duo” with the RAAL and two 6” curv drivers could be developed, it would be a natural use of the drivers from the EX upgrade.

It makes no sense to do as you suggested as that would be the same as just buying a new set of 2EX’s. You’d end up with the same thing in the end.

that makes more sense -- missed the"duo" in your earlier post. So, perhaps an approach is to use the Horizon cabinet with slightly bigger woofer openings and what ever mods needed to the x-over.

that makes more sense -- missed the"duo" in your earlier post. So, perhaps an approach is to use the Horizon cabinet with slightly bigger woofer openings and what ever mods needed to the x-over.
    Maybe. I have no idea and would leave that expertise to Dave. I’m just throwing out ideas and if I could upgrade my 2’s to EX’s and also end up with an upgraded center from my S2 center that would be a no brainer for me to do the upgrade. But right now I have a very capable subwoofer set up and am just not sure the EX woofer would provide enough of an upgrade to justify the cost in my situation.

Still a bit of a PITA, but think what you are suggesting is selling a Sierra 2-minus (S2 w/o woofer) for those that have upgraded their S2's to S2EX. Although I wonder why anyone would do that if they've upgraded to the EX anyways. Just to make use of an old woofer? Not worth the time/effort, IMO.
    Why would anyone want to make use of an expensive, high quality, expertly engineered woofer that they paid for? I can understand that. You really can't?

I love audio gear and it'd break my heart to just toss such a nice transducer in the recycling trash bin...

I can't see going through all the trouble and additional cost. Much simpler to buy a pair of S2-EX and repurpose (or sell) the S2's....

Exclamation Re: Repurpose Sierra 2 Seas Curv woofers after EX Upgrade?

I can't see going through all the trouble and additional cost. Much simpler to buy a pair of S2-EX and repurpose (or sell) the S2's....
    Agreed. Once thought I'd add the EX to my Sierra1 NrT's (Gorgeous Piano Dark Cherry Cabinets). However, after fully contemplating what I would do with the left over components, finally decided to go the complete Sierra2 EX route with the Satin Dark Cherry finish (Standard Cabinets on sale & they still look Great)!

Now I SEE (and HEAR) what all the Audiophile Hype is about with the EX (detailed review coming...hint, they're AWESOME)!!!!! Anyone interested in a great deal on perfect Sierra1 NrT's in a couple of months???

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

By that logic, then the kit just seems completely wasteful and even more costly. It's not very environmentally friendly or in line with the renewable resource minded either...

That said if I were buying new I'd skip right over the 2S, get the 2EX and not bother or even recommend the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    By that logic, then the kit just seems completely wasteful and even more costly. It's not very environmentally friendly or in line with the renewable resource minded either...

That said if I were buying new I'd skip right over the 2S, get the 2EX and not bother or even recommend the kit.
    For some owners (like me), evaluating all the angles did mean that the kit would have been wasteful, as I had no need or intentions to re-purpose any of the driver/crossover components! For a little bit more $$$, the current offerings made my decision easier...now very glad I did!

I once had the S2's in my audio room, but returned them to enjoy the NrT virtues (worked very well in my listening room). Wonder if the S2 will be phased out in the future as IMHO, the EX Is a big step-up in monitor performance...especially over the Sierra1 NrT's!!

Ted
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    For some owners (like me), evaluating all the angles did mean that the kit would have been wasteful, as I had no need or intentions to re-purpose any of the driver/crossover components! For a little bit more $$$, the current offerings made my decision easier...now very glad I did!

I once had the S2's in my audio room, but returned them to enjoy the NrT virtues (worked very well in my listening room). Wonder if the S2 will be phased out in the future as IMHO, the EX Is a big step-up in monitor performance...especially over the Sierra1 NrT's!!

Ted
    I picked up a pair of S2s I found on Craigslist for $650. Don't ask me why he let them go for so little, but I jumped on them. Piano gloss with a few minor scuffs on the bottom. Aside from that they look and perform like new. I like them so much I ended up getting ribbon towers.

Anyhoo... yeah. That's why I'd possibly be interested. I really like the center channel idea. That'd be perfect for me. Upgrade my S2s and build a center channel with the leftover woofs.