Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Repurpose Sierra 2 Seas Curv woofers after EX Upgrade?

Default Re: Repurpose Sierra 2 Seas Curv woofers after EX Upgrade?

I would say about 1/2 of our upgrade kit customers send the old parts back to us, as we do pay the freight costs for this option. Worst case, we properly dispose the old parts, but sometimes we donate used speakers to a worthy cause and the best of these used parts get to see a new home. Mostly though I end up using old parts for different engineering projects.

Regarding a "flat pack" option. It is important to understand the amount of work that goes into designing a new speaker. Just the 3D CAD drawings combined with conversion to proper CAM output for CNC machining is a ton of work. We could do it, but I am not sure we would even break even on a flat pack option that would utilize the S2 woofer, combining it with - for example, the S1 tweeter + new crossover.

What would be the max any of you would be willing to pay for the following:

Flat pack unfinished Sierra-1 cabinet pair in MDF + (2) Sierra-1 tweeters + (2) crossovers + 2 port tubes?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    Maybe Dave can design a Sierra-2 Duo where he can just sell the cabinet, tweeter, and crossover and then people that upgrade their L-R Sierra 2’s can just plop the old curv woofers into that cabinet. And sell a fully assembled version of the speaker as well to make it more cost effective for him to design, produce, and stock.
    This is an interesting idea but it isn't something that a manufacturer could offer. A speaker that is, for example, sold without the woofers is not something we could offer a proper warranty on and certainly not a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. I would almost guarantee that for the difference in price between this speaker with the woofers vs without the woofers, nearly everyone would choose the fully assembled version just to have the proper warranty and 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Well I was thinking there would be two options. First is that Ascend sells the fully assembled speaker with all the drivers. Second is that it is offered as part of an upgrade package for customers looking to do a 2 to 2EX upgrade and will have two 6” curv woofers left over. That way Ascend isn’t developing a speaker only for people looking to upgrade their 2’s to 2EX, but it also gives people in that boat a choice to be able to get two upgrades (2 to 2EX and center channel upgrade) in one package. Honestly if you offered it without warranty I would be interested. It’s not like the 2EX upgrade comes with a warranty anyways and passive speakers I imagine rarely run into warranty issues (I could be wrong on that one though).

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    Well I was thinking there would be two options. First is that Ascend sells the fully assembled speaker with all the drivers. Second is that it is offered as part of an upgrade package for customers looking to do a 2 to 2EX upgrade and will have two 6” curv woofers left over. That way Ascend isn’t developing a speaker only for people looking to upgrade their 2’s to 2EX, but it also gives people in that boat a choice to be able to get two upgrades (2 to 2EX and center channel upgrade) in one package. Honestly if you offered it without warranty I would be interested. It’s not like the 2EX upgrade comes with a warranty anyways and passive speakers I imagine rarely run into warranty issues (I could be wrong on that one though).
    I don't mean to sound rude or condescending so please don't take it this way but you are asking us to develop a completely new product that there is just no demand for (besides yourself and perhaps 1 or 2 others in this thread) If we were ever to offer an MTM version of Sierra-2 it would not be with Sierra-2 woofers, but with our EX woofers, in which case it sill would not be suitable.

Sierra-2EX has replaced Sierra-2, we still offer Sierra-2 for the few customers who already have Sierra-2 and want to add a center or another pair. To avoid any potential confusion, we have zero plans to offer a dual woofer version of the Sierra-2EX.

A DIY MDF flat pack utilizing one of our existing cabinet designs (Sierra-1/2 cabinet) combined with one of our dome tweeters (either Sierra-1 or 340SE tweeter) with customers Sierra-2 woofers is really the only option I would even consider - and even that is a stretch. Roughing out the pricing would still put this at a bit over $500 for the pair.

We offer the Sierra-2EX upgrade kit as a convenience to our customers, it saves quite a bit of $$$ for someone who has Sierra-1 or Sierra-2 compared to purchasing a new pair. Fully assembled speakers are disposed of all the time, same for broken / damaged components. If the concern is wasting some Sierra-2 woofers, as previously stated - we are happy to take them back.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Fair enough. I don’t think anyone here is doing anything but throwing out ideas... not suggesting this is something Ascend has to do at our beckoning. The intent was just to throw out ideas for you to consider and see what’s feasible.

1. I have no idea if a MTM with two curv woofers would actually even work.

2. It’s not my job to assess the market and determine if an item like that would sell. I have no idea how many S2’s have been sold and what potential there is to get owners to upgrade. I have no idea if others would be interested in a package deal that could upgrade the center channel as well. That’s data Ascend has and an assessment Ascend would have to make. If you feel based on your understanding that there’s no market for such an option, then by all means don’t pursue it. That’s just smart business and I think everyone here understands and respects that.

So if it’s not in the cards, that’s fine. It was worth taking a shot and throwing out an idea of something I personally would be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I don't mean to sound rude or condescending so please don't take it this way but you are asking us to develop a completely new product that there is just no demand for (besides yourself and perhaps 1 or 2 others in this thread) If we were ever to offer an MTM version of Sierra-2 it would not be with Sierra-2 woofers, but with our EX woofers, in which case it sill would not be suitable.

Sierra-2EX has replaced Sierra-2, we still offer Sierra-2 for the few customers who already have Sierra-2 and want to add a center or another pair. To avoid any potential confusion, we have zero plans to offer a dual woofer version of the Sierra-2EX.

A DIY MDF flat pack utilizing one of our existing cabinet designs (Sierra-1/2 cabinet) combined with one of our dome tweeters (either Sierra-1 or 340SE tweeter) with customers Sierra-2 woofers is really the only option I would even consider - and even that is a stretch. Roughing out the pricing would still put this at a bit over $500 for the pair.

We offer the Sierra-2EX upgrade kit as a convenience to our customers, it saves quite a bit of $$$ for someone who has Sierra-1 or Sierra-2 compared to purchasing a new pair. Fully assembled speakers are disposed of all the time, same for broken / damaged components. If the concern is wasting some Sierra-2 woofers, as previously stated - we are happy to take them back.
    That's not rude at all Dave. As a customer I have no idea what's involved with a suggestion like this and your insight makes sense. As always, appreciate you taking the time to reply.

This has come up, time and again. I had the same decision to make on upgrading the S-2 to S-2EX: get parts and modify myself (easy enough for me) leaving spare parts; have my S-2s modified and retested at Ascend; or buy new S-2EXs and sell used S-2s (but, I liked the exact color of my existing cabinets, and I never get around to selling anything!). I went with having Ascend do the upgrade (and they keep the parts).

What is the real value being captured for these used parts, ~$50/speaker? If about right, how much additional work and cost is it worth to salvage for what you get?
    Last edited by jimb; 02-10-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    That's not rude at all Dave. As a customer I have no idea what's involved with a suggestion like this and your insight makes sense. As always, appreciate you taking the time to reply.
    Thank you! I often find it difficult to properly express my views - too much on the table right now (seems that is always the case). That stated, the majority of new products we begin working on are from this very forum and the feedback and brainstorming that goes on here is invaluable, and I truly appreciate it.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com