Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Repurpose Sierra 2 Seas Curv woofers after EX Upgrade?

Default Repurpose Sierra 2 Seas Curv woofers after EX Upgrade?

This may be a silly, long shot notion, but thought I'd ask....

I'm contemplating upgrading my Sierra 2 RAALs with the new EX woofers. Seems a shame to discard the original woofers. I thought it might be a fun DIY project to repurpose them into a custom surround speaker (or Atmos height speaker).

Has anyone done this?

I should add, I'm totally inexperienced with speaker building, but am fairly handy with tools and such. I wasn't sure if the custom woofer would easily conform to speaker building kits I've seen on Parts Express or the like, or if this would be a costly custom job that isn't worth the effort.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Last edited by rockhound76s; 02-06-2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added more context

Default Re: Repurpose Sierra 2 Seas Curv woofers after EX Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound76s View Post
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    To do it right, you would need a proper tweeter, matched crossover network, and a correctly size cabinet.

Ascend doesn't sell the parts, but you might be able to come close in sourcing the consumer version of the RAAL tweeter, you could try and build a box to mimic the Sierra-1/2 enclosure, and essentially just build a set of Sierra-2 clones if you could find the secret sauce that goes into the crossover.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-06-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    -curtis

Probably not in the cards but I would personally be interested if Dave was able to put together a flat pack with a suitable tweeter and crossover that someone could reuse the original Curv driver and get a second set of speakers out of it when upgrading, and a semi-DIY kit like that would make it a cheaper and more cost effective option.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    To do it right, you would need a proper tweeter, matched crossover network, and a correctly size cabinet.

Ascend doesn't sell the parts, but you might be able to come close in sourcing the consumer version of the RAAL tweeter, you could try and build a box to mimic the Sierra-1/2 enclosure, and essentially just build a set of Sierra-2 clones if you could find the secret sauce that goes into the crossover.
    I see. So, possible with some careful planning, parts sourcing and woodworking, but likely difficult to optimize without knowing the finer details of the crossover specs. Was hoping (probably a little too optimistically), that it would be simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    Probably not in the cards but I would personally be interested if Dave was able to put together a flat pack with a suitable tweeter and crossover that someone could reuse the original Curv driver and get a second set of speakers out of it when upgrading, and a semi-DIY kit like that would make it a cheaper and more cost effective option.
    ^This! That would be ideal! Or how about a forum community built around this idea? Surely there are folks with spare NrT tweeters and crossovers from their own Sierra upgrades that they'd like to unload or trade among members here. Maybe someone with woodworking chops could even come up with a cabinet solution.

Wishful thinking I suppose. I'll probably just table the idea for now. Would love to see some creative speaker build threads if someone does do something cool with these extra parts.

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    While it would be nice, it would be a lot of overhead to support customers with an offering like this.
    -curtis

I've thought about this before too. I'd be way more inclined to do the EX upgrade if I knew I could repurpose the woofer.

Are there specs available? If so it might be possible to design a crossover and source a tweeter that plays well with it.

Maybe Dave can design a Sierra-2 Duo where he can just sell the cabinet, tweeter, and crossover and then people that upgrade their L-R Sierra 2’s can just plop the old curv woofers into that cabinet. And sell a fully assembled version of the speaker as well to make it more cost effective for him to design, produce, and stock.

The support overhead for a DIY product would not be worth it to Ascend.
    -curtis

What I’m suggesting would be no more DIY than doing a 2 to 2EX upgrade... shrug

Still a bit of a PITA, but think what you are suggesting is selling a Sierra 2-minus (S2 w/o woofer) for those that have upgraded their S2's to S2EX. Although I wonder why anyone would do that if they've upgraded to the EX anyways. Just to make use of an old woofer? Not worth the time/effort, IMO.