Thread: Ascend Horizon Center with or without RAAL?

Default Ascend Horizon Center with or without RAAL?

I have 2 Sierra Towers *without* RAAL as my current L/R, running with a phantom center. I got a great deal on them used and love them. Also have CBM-170 as surrounds.

I'm planning on purchasing the Horizon Center and just curious if I should get it with or without the RAAL upgrade.

My gut is to just buy the better speaker, and just get it with, but wanted to make sure I'm not making an obvious mistake.

Default Re: Ascend Horizon Center with or without RAAL?

I can't answer your tweeter question, but curious to know what you think of the CBM-170 vs the Sierra 2 towers (low bass not included).

From my understanding, the RAAL tweeter has superior horizontal dispersion, so I would look into the option of upgrading the tweeter in your towers first (if that option exist like it does for the bookshelves that is). That may improve the quality of the phantom center enough where you don't feel a need for one and if you still do, then get the matching center.

I thought that the towers couldn't easily be upgraded to the RAAL because it required structural changes.

Quote Originally Posted by iwrk4satan View Post
    I thought that the towers couldn't easily be upgraded to the RAAL because it required structural changes.
    That is true.
    -curtis

Stick with the tweeter that's in your towers for the best timbre match.

I have 2 Sierra Towers *without* RAAL as my current L/R, running with a phantom center. I got a great deal on them used and love them. Also have CBM-170 as surrounds.

I'm planning on purchasing the Horizon Center and just curious if I should get it with or without the RAAL upgrade.

My gut is to just buy the better speaker, and just get it with, but wanted to make sure I'm not making an obvious mistake.
    Travelled down this road yrs ago by swapping out to the RAAL. My primary concerns where based on intelligibility during low to moderate listening levels...the clarity and natural presentation of the RAAL...was worth the hassle of getting the horizon retrofitted...works seemlessly with my towers.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

I highly recommend going for the RAAL upgrade for the Horizon even if your L/R towers have the NrT domes. The RAAL offers better overall clarity and wider horizontal dispersion, both of these characteristics are important for the center. And it will still blend exceptionally well with the dome towers.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Great! This is the answer I was secretly hoping for, thanks.

Great! This is the answer I was secretly hoping for, thanks.
    I had a hunch
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com