Thread: ascend speakers

frank, what speakers have you heard? Maybe some of us have heard the same and can compare the Ascends.

The online reviews have some good comparisons:
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Main/Reviews/reviews.asp

-curtis

alot of speakers like def tech,m&k,boston,polk,canton,b&w

Frank,

I've compared the Ascend Acoustic CBM-170s to a good number of speakers out there, in some cases side-by-side, but I have yet to hear one that sounds just like them. As befitting their monitor designation, they are very accurate and virtually ruler flat in the frequency response department. That neutrality I think is what gives them an uncanny ability to handle all music with aplomb. Voices, in particular, are a strong suit...

In that respect, they are similar in sound to other speakers with that neutrality. Speakers that come to mind include Energy Connoisseur, NHT T-series speakers, Revel's M20, and some of M&K's speakers (I think I demo'ed the S150s and the 750s).

But even within this group, the Ascends don't quite sound exactly alike: the Energy's are a bit brighter up top but have more bass, the Revel's have similar voicing but are more refined and full bodied in their sound, M&Ks sound leaner and less musical, NHTs have a little more detail, etc.

So as I'm sure you have heard many a times, all you can really do is compare speakers and judge for yourself what they sound like and whether or not that matches your own musical tastes.