Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is anybody using Ascend Acoustics at their desktop?

Default Re: Is anybody using Ascend Acoustics at their desktop?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    The thing with near-field listening is that given the short distance between speakers and listeners, the sound coming from each driver may not "merge" by the time it reaches the ear.

That is why generally small speakers (with smaller drivers and closer to each other) works best for near-field.

I would go with the HTM-200 and if necessary supplement them with a small sub.

The other advantage of the HTM-200 is that not being ported are easier to position on a desk, especially if close to a wall.
    Driver size and how they merge at crossover (phase matching) are not related to each other. Larger drivers that are tasked with merging with a small tweeter (for example) might have a minor directivity mismatch when listening far off-axis, but this is not a factor for nearfield. This is why so many popular nearfield monitors use 6.5" woofers and even larger.

The key is designing the crossover for driver summation at a very close distance (Sierra-2EX accomplishes this at 6") + very wide horizontal dispersion.

I actually don't recommend HTM-200 for extreme nearfield use because there are 2 woofers producing the same frequencies at different positions, although at 2.5 feet minimum - they are fine. However, they do not have nearly as wide horizontal dispersion as Sierra-2/2EX or Luna (even wider)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Driver size and how they merge at crossover (phase matching) are not related to each other. Larger drivers that are tasked with merging with a small tweeter (for example) might have a minor directivity mismatch when listening far off-axis, but this is not a factor for nearfield. This is why so many popular nearfield monitors use 6.5" woofers and even larger.

The key is designing the crossover for driver summation at a very close distance (Sierra-2EX accomplishes this at 6") + very wide horizontal dispersion.

I actually don't recommend HTM-200 for extreme nearfield use because there are 2 woofers producing the same frequencies at different positions, although at 2.5 feet minimum - they are fine. However, they do not have nearly as wide horizontal dispersion as Sierra-2/2EX or Luna (even wider)
    Dave, thank you so much for your reply and advice! I have just a couple follow up questions if you have the time. Will the Sierra-2EX suffer if they’re up against a wall? Secondly, can you recommend a somewhat small footprint amplifier that will compliment the Sierra-2EX for desktop listening? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by markgoebel View Post
    Dave, thank you so much for your reply and advice! I have just a couple follow up questions if you have the time. Will the Sierra-2EX suffer if they’re up against a wall? Secondly, can you recommend a somewhat small footprint amplifier that will compliment the Sierra-2EX for desktop listening? Thank you!
    Very welcome!

Will the Sierra-2EX suffer if they’re up against a wall?
    Possibly, but there are lot of variables to this. If you are running the speakers full range (no sub) - then I would recommend at least 3" of clearance behind them. If you don't have that much clearance, you can use our Q-Plugs but I would test the speakers first. Closer to the wall behind them generally means more bass reinforcement, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for nearfield since typically, with nearfield placement - bass suffers.

My recommendation is to try the speakers first with the positioning that works for you, if too much bass or if it sounds boomy, Q-Plugs will alleviate that.

Secondly, can you recommend a somewhat small footprint amplifier that will compliment the Sierra-2EX for desktop listening?
    For a small footprint amp that will complement Sierra-2EX, check out the Schiit Vidar. I don't have first hand experience with this amp but we have many customers using it and I have received only positive comments.

https://www.schiit.com/products/vidar
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com