Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody using Ascend Acoustics at their desktop?

Default Is anybody using Ascend Acoustics at their desktop?

Currently in the process of designing a home office setup and have been picking out all of my components while working on getting a desk built. I had the thought cross my mind of quite possibly using the Ascend brand for near field listening.

Has anyone on this forum done this? What is your feedback? I'll be sitting anywhere from 2.5 - 4 feet away from the speakers based on placement. My desk dimensions will be 60-63" wide and 24" deep.

What do you recommend and what are you using to run them? I currently own a 27" iMac desktop and will be doing everything from scratch so I need all the help and recommendations I can get.

Thanks and be well!
    Last edited by markgoebel; 01-22-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Default Re: Is anybody using Ascend Acoustics at their desktop?

What's the budget?

So many options. I think a pair of Lunas would be awesome on the desktop. Even a pair of HTM-200SE's.

I would look at something like this to drive them with the USB output of the Mac.
    https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-Q5-Pro-D.../dp/B017W12UCU
    Last edited by curtis; 01-22-2021 at 05:16 PM.
    -curtis

Budget would be as high as the Sierra 2EX but not sure if they’d be overkill for near field listening

I'm using the HTM200's in my office - not exactly near field, though. I've placed them on top of bookshelves to provide ambient music whilst working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I'm using the HTM200's in my office - not exactly near field, though. I've placed them on top of bookshelves to provide ambient music whilst working from home.
    Sounds very nice! However, I would be using mine in traditional desktop fashion at a 63 w x 25 d desk.

The thing with near-field listening is that given the short distance between speakers and listeners, the sound coming from each driver may not "merge" by the time it reaches the ear.

That is why generally small speakers (with smaller drivers and closer to each other) works best for near-field.

I would go with the HTM-200 and if necessary supplement them with a small sub.

The other advantage of the HTM-200 is that not being ported are easier to position on a desk, especially if close to a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicHead View Post
    The thing with near-field listening is that given the short distance between speakers and listeners, the sound coming from each driver may not "merge" by the time it reaches the ear.

That is why generally small speakers (with smaller drivers and closer to each other) works best for near-field.

I would go with the HTM-200 and if necessary supplement them with a small sub.

The other advantage of the HTM-200 is that not being ported are easier to position on a desk, especially if close to a wall.
    Great points, IMHO. I'd expect the Luna to be even better, though at much higher cost.

Im in a 10’x10’x8’ room so it’s not too far from near field, with the Sierra-2 being about 8’ from me. Check my signature for gear used.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

If I was to edit the above post I’d lose my signature. I was going add tho that the Sierra-2EX is a fantastic bargain for not much more than the Sierra-2.
    Last edited by choirbass; 01-24-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markgoebel View Post
    Currently in the process of designing a home office setup and have been picking out all of my components while working on getting a desk built. I had the thought cross my mind of quite possibly using the Ascend brand for near field listening.

Has anyone on this forum done this? What is your feedback? I'll be sitting anywhere from 2.5 - 4 feet away from the speakers based on placement. My desk dimensions will be 60-63" wide and 24" deep.

What do you recommend and what are you using to run them? I currently own a 27" iMac desktop and will be doing everything from scratch so I need all the help and recommendations I can get.

Thanks and be well!
    At a minimum of 2.5 feet away, I would strongly recommend going with our Sierra-2EX or Luna. If you will not be using a subwoofer, for sure Sierra-2EX. Sierra-2EX has extremely tight phase integration between woofer and tweeter and the exceptionally wide horizontal dispersion of the RAAL ribbon is a real blessing for listening near-field as this makes the speakers sound a bit less directional (beamy) at close distance. We have hundreds of customers using Sierra-2/Sierra-2EX in the nearfield (which is generally considered listening at less than 1 meter)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com