Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wow.....

Default Re: Wow.....

Is there an option to put the NRT ON THE 340's? I don't see it.
    I already have a 340 CC, I'd like to see the NRT TWEETER instead of the normal, which gets too bright at high volume IMO.
    THANKS
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

We'll, I figured something out....
    My AVR988 Is a killer...my 170 tweeters are dead all of the sudden...you can hear that,!
    Wow....time for a new amp/pre... I've SMASHED 5 Speakers it seems...lotsa $. ����
    Funny thing, it didn't Sound off, it must've been putting out nasty harmonics or something...I really don't know, but this AVR is the death of 5 Speakers now... it's gotta go.

I just ordered another AVR, I can't play this, it costs alot of $, and grief.��

Thumbs up Re: Wow.....

To get a 3db increase in music output requires a doubling of amplifier power! Typically, recorded amplified music has +10db of Dynamic transient peaks over the continuous power demands. Music recording playback control (aka:Stereo system) is strictly dictated by the listeners volume settings!

In a real world example, a 100W rms rated amplifier (receiver) would actually have only 10 watts of clean continuous musical output with a clean [U]"Headroom of 100 watts" to cover the musical peaks (10db increase=10X the power needs)!

What happens when you ask this amp for 50 watts of continuous musical power output? The amp tries to pump out 500 watts to cover the dynamic musical peaks and Craps Out. It spits out tremendous distortion levels and horrible transient sounds that causes tweeters to spit out fire and woofer cones and suspensions to quickly disintegrate (I know as I was there when it happen)! In other words, it ran out of gas and can quickly destroy speaker drivers (even the best) and eventually...itself! IMHO the quickest and easiest solution to sustain high volume levels of musical playback is "Higher Efficiency Speakers"!!

FWIW, HERE are a few good articles on the subject of sound, music and the Decibel (db)!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 01-31-2021 at 07:12 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

I'm aware of this Ted, that's why I only have a solid 100WPC amp instead of chasing a higher amp.
    The AVR I just bought is "only" rated for 90w....
    BTW, my theater system has nothing but HE Speakers (other than heights), 94 or better... including the subs...
    I get it, sometimes I prefer to stay up here.

Thanks for the help.

Exclamation Re: Wow.....

You're welcome, Gary!

After researching the archive threads (like THIS one...BTW, great calculator ), seems my intentions were for naught as you Do understand the DB vs power relationships!! Apologize for my miss judgement...

Hopefully, you'll find some great playback solutions to fit your needs!

Ted
    Last edited by theophile; 01-31-2021 at 07:14 AM.
    Sierra RAAL V2 Towers, Axiom EP 500 Sub, Morrow SP7 Grand Reference Speaker Cables, Phillips CD880 XLR Balanced Variable Line Output to Orchard Audio Strakrimson 375w/per ch Stereo Ultra GaNFET Amp..... (Dedicated 2.1 Acoustical Music Listening Room)!

Passive aggressive thread..?

I played drums for years, have a big room and like to crank it up loud sometimes. I started with Sierra 2s. They get pretty damned loud and I sit 15' away. There are however, limits to what a bookshelf speaker with a 6" driver and the smaller 64-10 tweeter can do man. You can tell when a speaker is straining. I could tell with mine. That's why I decided if I want to listen at those levels I needed the towers.

I just don't understand how, or why someone would be so reckless with such nice speakers, blow one driver and then finish off the rest!

Next time you decide order a 2EX upgrade kit, please, send it to me instead of melting it!
    Last edited by Pogre; 01-31-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks Man, appreciate the invite.
    I took care of the problem...and it's so far out there most wouldn't guess....
    I'm not a person that hates compression Drivers, maybe others are...
    I ordered a pair of discounted JBL 590'S, Although at medium volume they'll give up quality, they'll survive the onslaught when I NEED to go crazy..
    OBVIOUSLY these are pretty much as far apart as you can get.
    Good horns don't bother me, the Klipsch I've HEARD do, but these are compression Drivers, not tweeters behind a horn.
    I know some will say bad this...save it please.
    I love Ascend, and always will, Dave designs Quality Speakers, he definitely has my respect.

Someone is weak though, they made this thread unavailable on that browser.
    C'mon guys, I am a crazy person that needs maximum Volume, I'm do far off the tee norm it's Ridiculous.
    Joe Blow + would run out of this room when I get it going, some of you get this.
    Those 2EX are Ridonkulous, Most couldn't stand that kind of volume for even a minute, nevermind 15 minutes.
    The 590's are a different animal totally, and they are HUGE.

The 2EX opened up my eyes, it was THAT GOOD.
    I'm a nut, that takes NOTHING from what I thought.
    The 2EX was MINT, I Loved them, they are top shelf.