Thread: Sierra 2 measured depth clarification

Default Sierra 2 measured depth clarification

I am looking for clarification on the actual measured depth of the Sierra 2 (domestic cabinet, in case it matters).

Looking at the specifications page I see it lists:

Dimensions H x W x D** 14.25" x 7.5" x 10.5"
    With the ** indicating without grill.

When I look at the product photos I note that the terminal lugs may well protrude 1/2” or more. So I am looking to understand does the 10.5” measured depth include the added depth of the terminals or is that strictly the cabinet’s measured depth and both the terminals (back) and grill (front) are additional depth.

Thanks for your insight to this topic.

Default Re: Sierra 2 measured depth clarification

Just measured my S2..
    10.5 is cabinet depth itself.
    Grill is an additional 0.5.
    Terminals are 1 1/16 additional themselves (this is fully closed - I use bananas plugged into the end which adds additional depth).

Gig 'em

Thank you Racrawford for the thorough response and helpful clarification.

Gig’em right back at ya!

Just curious, are you planning to put these into a really tight space? It would be best to have at least a few inches behind these for the port
    Nate

Lightbulb Re: Sierra 2 measured depth clarification

Not necessarily a tight space, but a challenging one.

For context, I currently own a pair of Lunas, that I have situated in front L/R duty. There is also a Dou LCR for the center and a pair of Rythmik F12s. The setup also utilizes a processor that applies Dirac Room Correction and the subs are respectively managed with MINIDSP 2x4HD. The system is both home theater and music (fairly broad listening tastes, but not reference level or pronounced bass heavy).

I am really drawn to the option of upgrading the Lunas to Sierra-2EX for what is broadly reported as more solid mid-base presence. I have held off on the alternative of a pair of Duo's for L/R in that I have not come across as many "glowing" reviews for them in a front stereo arrangement as the Sierras. I also get confused / worry about the comb filtering effect of the Duos. I am pleased with the Duo as a fantastic center.

Alright back to topic, the dilemma is the speakers are placed on a shallow (and high-ish) mantel (~60" off the floor). The mantel measures 10.5" deep, but there is some trim column work that interferes with part of the depth where the L/R are situated. With the column interference, the Sierra's would be spaced 2.5" from the back wall. This would then result in them overhanging the mantel in the from 2.5". It would be possible to use the mounting screw to fasten them to the mantel to avoid a potential gravity mishap. Not much appetite for now in moving to a floor standing configuration.

Overall this poses an ominous situation and a need to consider room aesthetics.

Certainly welcome other's thoughts and experiences as well. Thanks for any ideas.

You could also possible secure them to the mantle using Blu-Tak on the bottom along with (or instead of) a screw.

What about wall mounting on either side of the mantle? Something like these would work very well (I have my S2's in surround and my 4 HTM200 heights mounted to the wall using mounts like these).

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Univers...0364883&sr=8-4

That is certainly a real option. I had not really looked too much at wall brackets other than for lighter surrounds, but this certainly opens up another entire avenue. Thanks all for the continued ideas and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed-99aggie View Post
    Alright back to topic, the dilemma is the speakers are placed on a shallow (and high-ish) mantel (~60" off the floor). The mantel measures 10.5" deep, but there is some trim column work that interferes with part of the depth where the L/R are situated. With the column interference, the Sierra's would be spaced 2.5" from the back wall. This would then result in them overhanging the mantel in the from 2.5". It would be possible to use the mounting screw to fasten them to the mantel to avoid a potential gravity mishap. Not much appetite for now in moving to a floor standing configuration.

Overall this poses an ominous situation and a need to consider room aesthetics.

Certainly welcome other's thoughts and experiences as well. Thanks for any ideas.
    If possible, please post a pic of the front of your room.

Thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks Dave for jumping into the discussion. I appreciate your thoughts and advice to make the best of this situation with the associated limitations.

I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you live should your schedule permit.

As requested here are a few pics of the mantel that is used for front sound stage placement.

Front Mantel full.jpg

Front Mantel top.jpg

Mantel Right closeup.jpg