Thread: MRX 520 and Towers

Default MRX 520 and Towers

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in a while. Tried to look through the forums and couldn't find an answer.

Looking at getting the MRX 540 when it comes out this spring.

Question for those who have the MRX 520 and the towers with RAAL:

How does the amp in the MRX 520 drive the towers?

Is the internal amp sufficient or should I look at getting something like the Basx A-300 for the towers?

Thanks!

Ben
    -Ben

Default Re: MRX 520 and Towers

How far back are you sitting, how loud do you listen, and how many channels are you driving with the 520?

The Anthem amps are better than the Emotiva BASx, IMO. I currently run the MRX720 (using internal amps now for center & surrounds). Previously the center / surrounds were driven by an Emotiva UPA7 and the AVR's amps are fine (as good as the separate).

We sit back around 9'. Listen at around 50-75 db. It will be driving 4 channels.

The 2 towers () w/ RAAL and 2 CBM 170's for surrounds. Phantom center. I have a Rythmik F12 sub as well.

Thanks for the additional info about your MRX 720 racrawford, it is appreciated!
    -Ben

As you aren't very far back and don't listen too loudly, I think the MRX520 amps will be fine for all 4 channels at 100 wpc. The Towers & CBM's are pretty efficient. Plus, the sub will take a load off the speakers/MRX amps for the bass.

Robert

+1 to the prior statement. I'm an MRX520 owner and the tower speakers should run fine at the levels you indicated. It's a great receiver and the MRX540 will likely perform similarly.