Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Wife wants to get me a subwoofer for Christmas.

Default Re: My Wife wants to get me a subwoofer for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by ride525 View Post
    It's mainly for HT, so perhaps I should think ported?
    Ported will get you more output at less distortion from port tune to probably 1 -1.5 octaves above port tune (compared to sealed of the same size driver). If you get a low tuned sub 12-15hz, I really don’t see the advantage of sealed other than they come in a smaller size enclosure if that matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    Ported will get you more output at less distortion from port tune to probably 1 -1.5 octaves above port tune (compared to sealed of the same size driver). If you get a low tuned sub 12-15hz, I really don’t see the advantage of sealed other than they come in a smaller size enclosure if that matters to you.
    I think that if you were in a small enclosed room, the room gain from a sealed sub would make for a more even frequency response. I purchased two L12s but now I think I would've been better off with two LV12s since my room is open to other parts of the house.
    Nate

My room is huge volume with open cathedral ceilings, and somewhat open to other rooms.

Could I get ported 12 inch or 15 inch to add to my f12 sealed?

My room is huge volume with open cathedral ceilings, and somewhat open to other rooms.

Could I get ported 12 inch or 15 inch to add to my f12 sealed?
    While not impossible, mixing sealed and ported is very difficult. You have to be prepared to spend lots of time doing measurements and playing with the delays AND have a lot of flexibility to play with subwoofer placement. And even then there’s no guarantee they’ll integrate nicely. This mainly has to do with what happens because of the port which results in a phase shift of 180 deg around the port tune.

It looks like it is going to be sealed then.
    I have one F12,
    Question is add second f12 or add a bigger f15 (or E15)?
    Thanks!

It looks like it is going to be sealed then.
    I have one F12,
    Question is add second f12 or add a bigger f15 (or E15)?
    Thanks!
    Frequency response integration shouldn’t be an issue with a larger sealed, but what tends to happen is that the smaller sub “holds the bigger sub back”. This is especially the case if you use level matching to set up your subs. In this case, the bigger sub would be limited to the output capabilities of the smaller sub.