Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Wife wants to get me a subwoofer for Christmas.

Default My Wife wants to get me a subwoofer for Christmas.

My system
    65" Samung QLED TV
    Denon 4400 receiver
    5.1.4, upgrade to 5.2.4
    Front and Center are Ascend Sierrra-1, upgraded
    Center speaker sits on shelf about 8" below TV, Front speakers on same shelf just to right and left of TV.
    Rear surround, Front height, rear height are Ascend HTM-200
    Subwoofer, Rythmik f12, purchased 10 years ago

Used mainly for HT.

Time to act, wife want to buy me second sub for Christmas!

Room is about 19 feet front to rear, with raised cathedral ceiling, perhaps 20 feet at center.
    from of room opens to kitchen on left, and dining room on right.
    Current sub is on floor to right of right front speakers and stereo cabinet.
    easiest place for sub is front left.

EDIT: room dimensions
    Listening area, 16 feet wide x 19 feet deep, cathedral ceiling almost 20 ft peak in center from room. There is a wing area to the right of the room that is totally open to the listening area that is about 7 feet wide and 19 deep. Ceiling slopes down to about 9 feet on the right and perhaps 12 feet on the left. Kitchen opening on the left is about 8 feet wide on the left, dining opening is smaller perhaps 5 feet on the right.

What are your thoughts and recommendations for sub and location? EDIT: my preferred sub locations may be keep the current location on the right, a few feet right of the right speakers, and new location to the left of the left speakers, since I already have a cable run to the left side.

Thank you so much in advance!

Jeff
    Last edited by ride525; 12-29-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Adding room dimensions

Default Re: My Wife wants to get me a subwoofer for Christmas.

I think most people go with identical subs when adding a second or third, so I say another F12.

What's the total area that the sub will see? With the room open to two others, sounds like a pretty big space. Also, what is your objective for adding a second? More impact at MLP? Smoother bass response? Music or HT or both (and %age of each)?

Mikesiskav is correct - most add an identical sub. However, as your space may be rather large, may want to consider a F15 (or E15) or even an F18 Rythmik. As your current is sealed, I'd probably stick with another sealed. Or you could consider ported as you have a big space and seems to be the preferred for HT.

As to placement, options (depending on your room layout):
    a) mid point on front and rear walls
    b) opposite corners (eg front right, rear left)
    c) front wall (about 1/4 in from either side wall)
    d) if you go with a bigger sub, big one in the front (perhaps where current is) and smaller one closer to MLP (maybe behind your seats).

Unless you’re going to upgrade both eventually and can live with some compromises for now, I would stick with sealed. Trying to mix sealed and ported is very difficult. With a ported subwoofer, there is a 180 deg phase shift at the port tuning frequency. You don’t get that with a sealed sub. What that effectively means is that the two subwoofers will likely be fighting each other around those lower frequencies and instead of getting more combined output you’ll get cancellation and less output. You may be able to get lucky with placement and setting delays but it’s not guaranteed and won’t be easy.

Otherwise, if you think this new sub can be a stepping stone and you can replace your F12 later with another large ported sub, I vote for a ported sub 15” driver or bigger. Bigger is not just about louder, it also allows a sub designer to achieve lower distortion in the overall sub design.

Edited to add room dimensions and a preferred location for second sub.

That's a pretty big area to fill.
    If you plan to upgrade your current F12 in the future, I'd go for something bigger for the new one like the F15 or F18 (sealed) or the ported versions of these (although, as mentioned above, a bit more difficult to integrate with the current sealed).

I think you'll be ok putting the new one to the left. Assume this is same wall (front)?

racrawford, yes current sub on the right, proposed for new sub on left, both on front wall.

Two F12
    or one F15
    or two F15
    or one F18

Oh, and if I get two 15, maybe vented?
    Last edited by ride525; 12-28-2020 at 09:57 PM.

I would either go two F15 or one F18 (and if that's not sufficient, perhaps add a 2nd later).
    Ported or sealed is your choice. If primarily HT, ported is probably the way to go. If primarily music, sealed. Although with Rythmik's, their ported do very well with music as I've seen other users comment.

FWIW, I prefer sealed (mostly music, they tend to be smaller dimensionally @ same woofer size and don't drop off as quickly at low frequencies).
    Last edited by racrawford65; 12-29-2020 at 04:11 AM.

It's mainly for HT, so perhaps I should think ported?