Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBM-170se how does it compare today?

Default Re: CBM-170se how does it compare today?

Thanks for all your replies, they are helpful. I'm currently listening to a pair of PSB Alpha P5's which are quite good. I A/B'd them against a pair of Wharfedale Denton 80th anniversary editions and I like the PSB better. The Denton 80 has a beautiful midrange and great bass, but the highs are very rolled off to me.
    I like the P5 better and sold the Denton 80. So far, short of the Denton 85, the P5 is the best of the bunch. They have a balanced sound, the bass is tight and fairly deep without any boominess. They have great clarity, good imaging and a very good soundstage. The tweeter on the Vandersteen still brings out more detail and upper information, but unless you're A/B'ing you wouldn't really notice.

I re-ordered a pair of CBM-170se to try out. BTW, its kind of cool getting an email letting you know that your speakers are being assembled and tested before shipping.
    Last edited by Darek; 02-05-2021 at 02:18 PM.

My pair of CBM-170se's arrived. They are better looking than I expected and feel like a quality product. I happen to like their dimensions. I'm letting them play downstairs before I sit down and really listen to them.

I’m interested to hear your impressions. Are these for music, HT, or both?

Quote Originally Posted by JonCr View Post
    I’m interested to hear your impressions. Are these for music, HT, or both?
    They are just for music.

I've had a chance to listen to them and my initial impression is that the CBM-170se is a very good speaker. They are very clear, really detailed and they handle complex parts of music without getting congested sounding; everything still sounds separate and clear. Also, they are dynamic, when there's a louder pluck of a guitar it sounds real and palpable, not just louder. There's a good soundstage that's 3 dimensional with good separation of singers and instruments. Not sure if the CBM-170's will still loosen up and I don't have a lot of hours on them yet, but the PSB Alpha P5's go lower. I really like the P5, and at first listen they seemed pretty comparable, but after A/B'ing the two, the CBM is the better speaker. The P5 actually sounds a bit muffled by comparison when switching back and forth which was surprising, because they really do sound good. The CBM-170se are a step up over the other speakers that I tried out with the exception of the Denton 85 and while I no longer have the 85, I think the CBM's would be competitive (other than bass).

At this point I haven't tried them with a sub yet. I'm sure they will sound fantastic with a bit of bottom end weight.
    Last edited by Darek; 02-23-2021 at 08:44 PM.