Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 1 Measurement Confusion

Default Sierra 1 Measurement Confusion

Hi all. I'm a first time new owner of some Sierra 1s. I just started demoing tonight, but enjoying what I hear so far. I did have a question/concern regarding the included testing measurements:

The specs on the website say the speaker has reasons +/- 3dB down to around 40hz. I'm newer to this, but looking at the FR graph I was provided, it seems like there is steep roll off starting around 80ish hz. Am I reading this incorrectly?

Default Re: Sierra 1 Measurement Confusion

down 3 db at 44 hz per measurements on the website and looks to be down 5 db at 40 hz.
    So, you may be reading the graph wrong. Can you scan & post?

Doesn't the provided plot say "Accurate to 250Hz" or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    Doesn't the provided plot say "Accurate to 250Hz" or something like that?
    This ^^

Like Beave posted, it should say that right on the sheet. This is because the measurements are taken when the speakers are on at the end of final assembly, and not in a place where an anechoic or quasi-anechoic measurement can be made.

Unless Dave changed something up.
    Last edited by curtis; 12-10-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    -curtis

Ah, it does say that. I hadn't noticed the comment written there. Thank you for the clarification. I was more concerned about where to crossover my sub. The specs indicate 60-80hz. These measurements suggested closer to 80-90hz.

80Hz crossover is the standard recommendation, but anywhere from 60Hz to 100Hz is reasonable for these speakers. So probably the best thing to do is try different settings until you find what works best in your room.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandDuke View Post
    Hi all. I'm a first time new owner of some Sierra 1s. I just started demoing tonight, but enjoying what I hear so far. I did have a question/concern regarding the included testing measurements:

The specs on the website say the speaker has reasons +/- 3dB down to around 40hz. I'm newer to this, but looking at the FR graph I was provided, it seems like there is steep roll off starting around 80ish hz. Am I reading this incorrectly?
    Happy to hear you are enjoying the speakers!

Unfortunately, the process of accurately measuring frequency response below the first reflection point is quite complicated and time consuming. It is a practical impossibility for a speaker manufacturer to offer this. However, by comparing the impedance plot to our reference, we are able to determine if both the woofer and the port tune are correct.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks, Dave. They are so smooth, detailed, airy, and easy to listen to. Definitely on a different level from what I'm used to. I had put them up against a pair of Triangle Borea BR08 floor standers I got on deal for Black Friday. And yes, the Sierras can't match the 4 driver, 3-way design for volume/"wall of sound" factor, but I quickly decided I'll be selling the Triangles. In this case, I'll take quality over quantity (although the Triangles are pretty decent speakers at their price and fun in their own way).

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHandDuke View Post
    Thanks, Dave. They are so smooth, detailed, airy, and easy to listen to. Definitely on a different level from what I'm used to. I had put them up against a pair of Triangle Borea BR08 floor standers I got on deal for Black Friday. And yes, the Sierras can't match the 4 driver, 3-way design for volume/"wall of sound" factor, but I quickly decided I'll be selling the Triangles. In this case, I'll take quality over quantity (although the Triangles are pretty decent speakers at their price and fun in their own way).
    Sierra-1's were designed 14 years ago, they still hold their own against any speaker out there at anywhere near their price. I hope you enjoy them for many years to come, and when you are ready - you can easily upgrade them.

Thanks for putting your confidence in us!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Sierra-1's were designed 14 years ago...
    Kinda makes me feel old...
    -curtis